what fish can i put with a male betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crystal4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 29gal tank with a male betta in it. what fish are compatable with the male betta?

I, personally, have had success with Cory Cats, Zebra Danios and Mollies.

But each betta has their own personality and what they like or dislike, so fish MY betta is happy with is fish yours might destroy on sight :D

true. i put a male betta with fantail goldfish and they destroyed my other male betta. i am going to try some mollies and se how they coexist.

I have kept bettas with white cloud mountain minnows and cory cats. You could probably have them with some of the tetras, avoiding the long-finned ones like the skirted varieties. Also avoid gouramis and guppies.

Basically avoid anything that has similar fins (long and flowing), and anything that would like to munch on those kinds of fins.

I think TG's suggestion of the the cory cats and minnows is a good one. Just make sure you get large enough schools of each, so they have no reason to feel threatened by your betta.

I had a tank with a dwarf gourami, a blue gourami, a "giant" gourami and a red tail black shark with my betta years ago. The betta and red tail wanted the same territory, the red tail won, and the betta lived out its life in the upper front corner of the tank which worked out well. Everyone coexisted relatively happily.

Cory cats and minnows works great. And in a 29 gallon you could have an awsome school of cories, maybe 7 or so of the little guys. Rasboras are also nice, probably platies. Neon tetras might be okay.

Not gouramis, paradise fish or as was mentioned long finned fish.

I have had succsess with neon tetras, frogs, glass cats, ghost shrimp.

My understanding is that fish with fancy fins are too be avoided. Guppies, angels etc.

Bettas are pretty slow swimmers.

I currently have two red claw crabs and a rubber lipped pleco. I think I am going to try a couple of upside down catfish and see how they do. He seems to get irritated there are other fish around, but I've never seen him nip.

I've got my guy in with 2 cory cats, and am planning on adding another. Like some others said, he occasionally seems annoyed at their presence, but there haven't been any big problems so far. *knock on wood*

I've heard of some people who kept their bettas with neon tetras, and I'm thinking about trying this also. I'll be sure to update on how it turns out if I do.

I wouldn't put ghost shrimp like Megalofyia said. Er, I had a bad experience with ghost shrimp and my betta... but she said she had a good one so this goes back to the personality of each fish. But since they are only 20 cents, id say go for and see what happens =o)

Those are some expensive ghost shrimp at 20 cents a shrimp..
I've actually had success with a few bettas and ghost shrimp which is why I suggested them.

i know a place where ghost shrimp are plentiful. i usually go catch the shrimp whenever i find time. if i goto the pet store they want 29cents each so i just go catch them .

betta

I had one betta with rasboras and kuhlis and they were fine.
I tried with a male colisa lalia and 2 female colisa lalia but they were all stressed.
Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom