What fish could I get for my five gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What fish would be able to live in my 5 gallon tank

• Colbalt goby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panda goby

• Glass catfish

• Upside down catfish

• Killifish

• Pea puffer (I am a beginner fish keeper)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok, I have a 2.5 gallon too so could I put my frogs and betta in that with a puffer in the 5 gallon ?

Toad is right. Nothing on the list is suitable for a five gallon. I would just keep the female alone. I keep my Betta alone in a 10 gallon.

I mean I'm from Canada and this might be more or less than 5 gallons

i'm sorry, but you really just can't do it. i mean, you can. but the fish will be unhappy, unhealthy, stressed, and will die. a responsible pet owner just wouldn't do it.

Ok, so a ghost shrimp won't work either ?

Provide measurements and I'll try to calculate the volume for you. As far as the puffer,it will kill your Betta. I had a puffer once, about 25 years ago, that killed pretty much every fish that i had. I would just keep the female betta alone.

image.jpg my betta and my frogs are there for a size comparison

What are the best fish or a 5 gallon aquarium ?

Hello, I was just wondering if any of you guys and gals could recommend some good fish/invertebre that would be good in a five gallon aquarium.

Hello, I was just wondering if any of you guys and gals could recommend some good fish/invertebre that would be good in a five gallon aquarium.

What can go in a five? Many, many options. Many of which will start arguments. This is a list that people have been successful with. Its not a guarantee but it is a place to start.

Endlers (males preferably, add a female and you had best e selling a lot of babies all the time)
Betta (1m or 1-2 females, 2 may cause issues depending on personality)
Green Neon Tetra (not really green)
Ember Tetras
Scarlet Badis
Celestial Pearl Danios
Many types of rasboras (some are incredible looking, but they are often the very tiny varieties)
Some types of Killifish
Dwarf Puffer
Smallest Gobbies
Smallest two species of the shell dwelling cichlids (Lamprologus Ocellatus or neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis)
Asian Stone Catfish
Smallest apistogramas (its not colorful, more assortment for breeding but then they need to move)

And nearly everyone one of them can and will start an ethics argument. Remember there are additional concerns when doing this such as: water temp., water type, water quality, plant levels, ground cover/substrate, etc.

Thank you so much! One more thing though. Would having 1 female betta and 2 African dwarf frogs limit that list?

Thank you so much! One more thing though. Would having 1 female betta and 2 African dwarf frogs limit that list?

Its all based on bio load. So say if you went by the old but broken rule of 1" per gallon, then a Betta is 2, and each ADF will be 2, which gets you to six. While the rule is bad... its ussually bad for under representing, not over. So filtration would need to be upgraded significantly possibly with live plants. Also ADF are a bit messy so their bio load is actually high. They may become stressed.

Personally, I would be very cautious. Especially being in your tank you have limited plant coverage for filtration or hiding. Then, look at it logically. Research a specific species before doing anything with it. And understand you are going beyond capacity.

Understood �� Thanks for helping

Ok, but do u have any recommendations for an unusual fish.

not in a 5 gallon tank. if you want a recommendation for a fish, you need to know what size tank you have first. and if it's in a 5 gallon tank, there are literally no fish that will live in such a small tank. especially with a betta. the fact that you have a betta and two frogs in there is too much in itself.

What can go in a five? Many, many options. Many of which will start arguments. This is a list that people have been successful with. Its not a guarantee but it is a place to start.

Endlers (males preferably, add a female and you had best e selling a lot of babies all the time)
Betta (1m or 1-2 females, 2 may cause issues depending on personality)
Green Neon Tetra (not really green)
Ember Tetras
Scarlet Badis
Celestial Pearl Danios
Many types of rasboras (some are incredible looking, but they are often the very tiny varieties)
Some types of Killifish
Dwarf Puffer
Smallest Gobbies
Smallest two species of the shell dwelling cichlids (Lamprologus Ocellatus or neolamprologus multifasciatus/similis)
Asian Stone Catfish
Smallest apistogramas (its not colorful, more assortment for breeding but then they need to move)

And nearly everyone one of them can and will start an ethics argument. Remember there are additional concerns when doing this such as: water temp., water type, water quality, plant levels, ground cover/substrate, etc.
That's a whole lot of irresponsible advice!

Back
Top Bottom