What fish do you look for first.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottw68TN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed that I seem to look for my rams first when I look into my tank. They are not the newest probably just my favorites or the higher ph conscerns me. I'm sure a lot of you find yourself looking for one more than another. I also can't break the habit of looking at the water line for floaters. Never had any in this tank just a morbid paranoia.

I tend to find myself always looking for my blue moon platy. I love the way her scales shimmer in the light from the tank. She is also pregnant and I want to try to keep a few of her fry, so I watch her very closely for any signs of a possible birth.

My cichlid tank draws my attention first, specificly the largest of the tank, a 6 inch african cichlid of unknown origin. He's awesome. Larger than the others by at least an inch or two.

I'll have to get a photo. He's grey with a black diamond pattern all over, and deep blue shine/hightlights.

Both fish are nice. i also have a cichlid tank with one 10-12 inch oscar. He is definately a eye catcher.

my bronze cories
my guppy fry schools
then my neon tetras
adult guppys
then my platy.. (he is my oldest fish... :) )

I have a bad habit of counting them when I first get there.. make sure everyone is there... like a roll call.....

I'm always checking on the cory, he's so small that im convinced they are going to eat him, or just torture him to death.

Mother

Well I see alot of stress goes along with fish watching. Shouldn't it be the other way around. Life and death situations aren't very soothing for the soul.

I don't look for any in paticular, just make sure they are all happy and still swimming around, lost 2 female betta's 1st part of the week, let my nitrate levels get too high. :(

Always my neons. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7...............................8, there he is! Phew!

They're my "indicator" species. If anything's gone wrong, or I missed something in my water parameter check, these guys are the first to show stress, or die. 7 usually school together, while the the 8th chills by himself. The loner.

I had some tough times with the neons when I first put them in the tank (after I cycled it, added other species), and quite a few died. I've had great success recently, and haven't lost any for over a month.

In terms of beauty, I always search for my flagfish, which are bright and beautiful. But, I've got an algae bloom in my water right now, so I can't see them well! They tend to hide at the back of the tank, and skeedaddle when I approach!

fish watch

I also do a roll call, 1 thru 10! Just 'coz my tank is only a few weeks old and I want to make sure each day that all is well. But the fish I'm keeping a close eye on are the pregnant molly and the 3 pregnant platies!

*starts laffing*

I do the same thing madasa with the 10g; counting the neons must be a part of neon keeping ;) Wonder why THAT could be LOL I then go lookin for my bamboo shrimp just cause hes so cool to watch. Of course the gouramis get in the way...apparently I have to look at THEM.

In my big tank, my angels are the first thing I see; kinda hard to miss em since if I even LOOK at the tank they swim up in my direction thinking I might feed em. Why I would feed em from halfway across the room I have yet to figure out...

I count my african cichlids maybe once a week, just to be sure. I've had one disappear before, a suspected homocide. There's also a second one I watch out for, a 'snowwhite' african cichlid. He's the smallest in the tank, and the 3rd one I've had. The others never made it past 8-10 days, he's been holding on for close to two months now. They pick on him, but every wound they give him with their social fighting he recovers from. Hardy little guy.

In my 29 gallon, I count my glow-lites quite often, and my frogs, just cause its fun to try to find them all.

I count the green tiger barbs first, 'cause they're in the middle of the tank. Then the zebra danio's. Then I find the gourami. Finally I see if I can spot the tail of just one of the kuhli loaches sticking out of the substrate.

But mainly I watch the Green Tiger Barbs. They're neat.

Alot of counting going on. I count about once a week. still scanning the top which I will try and break that habit soon. I just remembered what started that I did have 6 new lemons die like 1 per day (They were already sick or stressed from the store) so I got used to walking in and waiting for the next to go. They looked and acted great but ........

You like frenzied feeding? :)

You should see what happens when I drop one of those frozen bloodworm and/or plaketon cubes into my 90 gallon. Those cichlids go berserk. :)

Back
Top Bottom