What fish do you refuse to own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apr28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know we are constantly answering stocking questions but what fish do you refuse to own/buy/suggest for whatever reason?

After a year in the hobby, I found that I do not like mollies, platys and angelfish.

Im a saltwater fisherman for a living and refuse to do a saltwater aquarium too.

Any fish that is not relatively hardy and easy to care for and they have to be able to live in one of my three 10 gal tanks..Alison

I refuse rosy barbs just because they look nice but they're so active. Personally I like tiger barbs better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know we are constantly answering stocking questions but what fish do you refuse to own/buy/suggest for whatever reason?

After a year in the hobby, I found that I do not like mollies, platys and angelfish.

Im a saltwater fisherman for a living and refuse to do a saltwater aquarium too.

Why does that make you not want salt water?

Fresh water -

Alligator Gar - Because a fish that grows to 3m long does not belong in the hobby

Flower Horn - It's a mutant fish that shouldn't exist

Parrot - Same reason as the flower horn

Chinese Algae Eater - Eats the eyeballs out of other fish... Need I say more?

Salt Water -

Morish Idol - They don't belong in the hobby despite being hugely popular. Almost all die in captivity.

Damsels - Too aggressive

Octopus - Too short lived

Common pleco because no one really understands how big they can get and most people don't have adequate space to house them when they are fully grown.

Common pleco - cause they are poop machines
Mbuna - to active and crazy chasing all the time stresses me out

Anything that grows to big for a home aquarium - Red Tail Cat, Pacu, Shovelnose, most Gars.

Anything that requires a tank by themselves. Tried the whole "wet pet" thing and it was to boring.

Nandopsis salvini. I love them and have tried twice and all they do is go psycho one night and kill everything. Solo they just hide. with dithers see 1st reason.

Common or Sailfin Plecos
CAEs
Any of the huge fish that can't fit in tanks as adults.

Balloon anything

Dyed fish :(

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tetras. They are terribly mean bullies

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Glow in the dark fish, the really big fish that cant fit in tanks, and mbuna because they are a bunch of school yard bullies imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Glo fish ... An irrational stance against patenting living things that are lab created, irrational because my objection is more about the WTO and Monsanto screwing with nutrition and food economics in developing nations. I also believe the anecdotal reports they don't live long.

Mollies, because they top so many lists of "fish not really for beginners, though commonly sold as such."

I won't have I can't keep plants with (because once a tank is "done" I get bored of it).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I think it's a perfectly rational stance even if for an indirect reason. They've taken it to the next level and now offer hybrids. Which is a good seg into the fish I refuse to keep.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Glo fish. They're just weird also any of the monsters that don't belong in any standard tanks.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any hybrids or if they are extremely line bread to enhance a birth defect
Ex) double tail, balloon and lyre tail.

Chinese algae eaters they massacre other fish
Gold fish they are just weird
Large Pleco
Fish that get bigger than 7ish inches
Any fish that in not how it should be naturally 1 exception colour morphs like a lime green Endler or albino Cory

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Any hybrids or if they are extremely line bread to enhance a birth defect
Ex) double tail, balloon and lyre tail.

Chinese algae eaters they massacre other fish
Gold fish they are just weird
Large Pleco
Fish that get bigger than 7ish inches
Any fish that in not how it should be naturally 1 exception colour morphs like a lime green Endler or albino Cory

Sent via Messenger of Gondor
Albino's are natural. Just VERY rare in the wild

I won't have albino fish. They look sick to me.
As for Tetras Ethan, I have a tank full and not a bully in sight. Maybe there are too many for any one fish to bully.
I agree though with many of the above, a fish over 6" doesn't belong in a domestic size tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I refuse to buy platies and Mollies and fish like that... and for the longest time I never wanted guppies either... I basically don't like any livebearer fish.

They are a pain in the *** to keep healthy they always die from some disease.... Discus are easier to take care of lol...

My favorite type of fish are any kind of rainbows, and Neon/glow light tetra's and I really am liking the Gold Killifish and Gold barbs

Arowanas...way too big....creepy looking....just no.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom