What fish do you think should NOT be in the fish keeping hobby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For me it's the red tailed catfish because they can get over 300 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For me it's any fish that will try to kill other fishes

Peace and Success to your fishes from my iPhone

Well of course but I'm talking fish that shouldn't be in a glass box.

Sometimes I think a person should have to apply for a permit to keep certain tank buster fish. If you have the right setup and knowledge you can get a permit. But if you apply to put an arowana in a 55g permit denied. The permits wouldn't even have to cost much but it would ensure that some of these poor creatures in the trade can have a better life maybe? Just a thought. Not a fully formed thought but a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with the RTC, but I think all kinds of gar, iridescent catfish and fish that are collected from the wild causing extinction should't be kept.

Bala Sharks would be top of my list just cause every time I see them in a tank it is never large enough for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with the RTC, but I think all kinds of gar, iridescent catfish and fish that are collected from the wild causing extinction should't be kept.

The RTC is only live on through the aquarium hobby, as their wild habitat Is getting destroyed.

But anyway, I agree with the permit idea, that should be a thing!

Sent via echolocation

the permit thing could never happen. They are not going to regulate things like this and the amount of work it would cause the person, LFS, Government would make it impossible because there wouldnt be enough profit in it.

the permit thing could never happen. They are not going to regulate things like this and the amount of work it would cause the person, LFS, Government would make it impossible because there wouldnt be enough profit in it.

It would be more like the way you have to get a permit to own a snakehead in the U.S.

Sent via echolocation

It really wouldn't even be an issue if store owners used a little more discretion when ordering stock or inquiring about the setup before a sale. There is one fish that I absolutely believe should not be available at all and that is the electric eel, there's just way to many variables that could result in injury or death with them.

One of my favorite stores has only one time ordered a tankbusting monster and it is their store pet.

I agree with the tank busters. Unless of course you are an MFK member that adds a tank onto their house(read story of a Canadian who added a 50,000 onto their house).

Tank busters take a lot of money and commitment and being on social media a lot many people that get them are not prepared for the actual size they get.

Caleb

It really wouldn't even be an issue if store owners used a little more discretion when ordering stock or inquiring about the setup before a sale.

During my brief stint working at a big chain pet store, I learned that many of the fish shipments were not ordered by the store managers at all, but simply included in their weekly shipments unasked for. Of course, small stores do not have this problem and should order stock with more thought.

As for fish that should only be sold with caution: bucktooth tetras and also clown loaches. So many people throw clown loaches in 10 gallon tanks, with no idea how large they get. Bucktooth tetras just kill everything else....definitely not a candidate for community tanks.

Absolutely disagree with any permits being involved. There is enough regulation in this country already, the last thing anyone needs is the government regulating the aquarium hobby.
The sellers are where the problem lies, bonehead fish keepers will be bonehead fish keepers but if there were less of these tank busters flooding the market it would limit the opportunity to possess them.
To the original question, RTC, iridescent shark, alligator gar, really anything that hits over 18 inches. That said there are responsible keepers who have the means to keep most anything, RTC excluded, that's not an aquarium fish, its a pond/lake fish.

I think also there is a cost value issue with freshwater fish.

There are a lot more readily available saltwater fish that require a very large tank, i.e. Most Tangs, . But you don't see these as often in undersized tanks. I think a large part of that is the fact so many of the larger salt water inhabitants cost so much more than their freshwater counterparts. That people do their research before shelling that out, consumers and stores alike.
If say people couldn't go to the store and purchase a baby red belly piranha for $10 maybe they would look up what tank they actually need.

End of useless rant lol.

I think also there is a cost value issue with freshwater fish.

There are a lot more readily available saltwater fish that require a very large tank, i.e. Most Tangs, . But you don't see these as often in undersized tanks. I think a large part of that is the fact so many of the larger salt water inhabitants cost so much more than their freshwater counterparts. That people do their research before shelling that out, consumers and stores alike.
If say people couldn't go to the store and purchase a baby red belly piranha for $10 maybe they would look up what tank they actually need.

End of useless rant lol.

I don't think it's useless, it's actually a valid point.

Look at the cost of CPD vs the cost on Oscar. Tack on that at CPDs need schools and as a newbie which you think they will choose lol..

If larger fish were priced higher people may take into consideration a form of commitment and research before buying. Much like the large saltwater fish.

Caleb

There are pacu for free at one of my lfs they are huge!

Back
Top Bottom