What fish for this 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, ok thanks for the info. Just strange that my friend had a koi, pleco, and guppies in a 5 gallon. He got rid of the koi, and some guppies died, but his pleco is big and still alive with a few fish. I figured if his pleco can survive in a crowded tank, mine can in a tank.
Yeah, plecos are quite hardy, but I still wouldn't put him in there. My friend has a 10 gallon tank that has 2 common plecos in it and they have lived for years in there and are each like 6 inches long. His filter deals with the bioload apparently, but the problem is the size. They can stay alive, but its not a good quality of life.

Hmm, ok thanks for the info. Just strange that my friend had a koi, pleco, and guppies in a 5 gallon. He got rid of the koi, and some guppies died, but his pleco is big and still alive with a few fish. I figured if his pleco can survive in a crowded tank, mine can in a tank.
Yes but surviving isn't thriving. All kinds of life can survive for long periods of time in less than ideal, to even sometimes hideous conditions, but that survival does not indicate good health or happiness. The pleco would go through a painful process called stunting that causes internal damage. Unless you had a huge filter on there it would not be able to keep up with the waste produced by such a large fish and it would most likely be slowly poisoned by out of control ammonia and/or nitrite. It just doesn't work. Plain and simple. A common pleco doesn't work in a 55 gal, let alone a 5 gal. I promise you. Now a zebra nerite or a horned nerite snail and/or some dwarf shrimp like red cherries would make great algae eaters for a 5 gal.

siva said:
Yes but surviving isn't thriving. All kinds of life can survive for long periods of time in less than ideal, to even sometimes hideous conditions, but that survival does not indicate good health or happiness. The pleco would go through a painful process called stunting that causes internal damage. Unless you had a huge filter on there it would not be able to keep up with the waste produced by such a large fish and it would most likely be slowly poisoned by out of control ammonia and/or nitrite. It just doesn't work. Plain and simple. A common pleco doesn't work in a 55 gal, let alone a 5 gal. I promise you. Now a zebra nerite or a horned nerite snail and/or some dwarf shrimp like red cherries would make great algae eaters for a 5 gal.

Agh ok. Thanks for the info. I see now. What size tank would be good for a pleco incase I decide to get a big tank in the future?

Back
Top Bottom