What fish is good for 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slow-dagger

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 angels the size of a 50 cent coin I want to trade them for different fish what is good I don't like guppies give me advise what other fish

Slow-dagger said:
I have 2 angels the size of a 50 cent coin I want to trade them for different fish what is good I don't like guppies give me advise what other fish

A betta
Or two platies and a snail
Or 5 African Dwarf Frogs
1-2 Shell Dweller Cichlids would be fine I think
Please reconsider not liking guppies- have you seen the really nice ones? Google platinum mosaic Thai and bluegrass and snakeskin guppies- you'll be blown away

A school of small tetras, a betta, some corydoras, shrimp tank, dwarf gouramis, maybe platys or maybe a mix of those fish.

Cory's and shrimp can go with any of them. But I probably wouldn't mix any of the others because the size of the tank. My gf has 4 neon tetras and a flame gourami in a ten gallon

emerald76 said:
A betta
Or two platies and a snail
Or 5 African Dwarf Frogs
1-2 Shell Dweller Cichlids would be fine I think
Please reconsider not liking guppies- have you seen the really nice ones? Google platinum mosaic Thai and bluegrass and snakeskin guppies- you'll be blown away

image-175056095.jpg

I have 2 of these and 2 baby corycats 3 ghost shrimp 1 snail what other fish can I add

There are all kinds of small tetra's and rasbora's. Dwarf Cory cats, and there are a couple very small gourami's (licorice and sparkling). Neons are especially good since they are so small and colorful.

Pckerfreak44 said:
A school of small tetras, a betta, some corydoras, shrimp tank, dwarf gouramis, maybe platys or maybe a mix of those fish.

Cory's and shrimp can go with any of them. But I probably wouldn't mix any of the others because the size of the tank. My gf has 4 neon tetras and a flame gourami in a ten gallon

I have 2 guppies 2 baby green corycats 3 shrimp and a snail what other fish do I add

Rivercats said:
There are all kinds of small tetra's and rasbora's. Dwarf Cory cats, and there are a couple very small gourami's (licorice and sparkling). Neons are especially good since they are so small and colorful.

How do the dawf Cory cat look like I have 2 green baby corycats

Is it possible to rehome the corys or put them in a bigger tank (if you have one)? I believe your green cories are emerald cories and they grow to 3.5 inches, too big for a 10. Look in to panda cories or pygmy cories, they are smaller and could fit in a 10.

As for additional fish, endlers livebearers are awesome. I recommend looking in to them.

bud29 said:
Is it possible to rehome the corys or put them in a bigger tank (if you have one)? I believe your green cories are emerald cories and they grow to 3.5 inches, too big for a 10. Look in to panda cories or pygmy cories, they are smaller and could fit in a 10.

As for additional fish, endlers livebearers are awesome. I recommend looking in to them.

How long does it take for them to fully mature I can't find nothing about them

They have to be "marble" hatchet fish. Regular silver hatchets are too big for a 10 gallon. I "think" that combo might work since the hatchets stay at the surface of the water.

They have to be "marble" hatchet fish. Regular silver hatchets are too big for a 10 gallon. I "think" that combo might work since the hatchets stay at the surface of the water.

marbles are the same size as other hatchets like the Silver Hatchet - 2 inches, they are just a different coloration.

I wouldn't go for marbels as they are not only schoolers but would do far better in a bigger tank. 10 gallons with fish already in it doesn't leave much room for them sadly

K I've never heard darf corys

Dwarfs are just different corys that stay smaller. Pygmy, peppered, skunk, panda and false julii are some of them. These ones range between 2-2 1/2 inches full grown.

I'd suggest rehoming the corys you have and going with a shoal of 4 dwarf corys and would maybe try a sparkling gourami. 10 gallons sadly does not leave you with a lot of room to work with. Personally I don't think a 10 is ok for corys but I know many that do keep them in 10s.

Endlers are great little fish but if you don't want more guppies then I wouldn't bother with them. They are very similar and in many cases endlers are cross bred with guppies.

Rivercats said:

I don't recommend any types of tetra in less then a 15g. They may be small but they are active and require a fair amount of swimming space. The only tetras which could work are ember.

Actually there are several different Hatchet fish, below are the ones you mostly see in trade. The Common and Silver hatchet fish are both often sold as Silver hatchets. Both the Silver and Marbled hatchets do in fact need a 20 gallon, its the Black winged hatchets that say smaller and can be kept in a 10 gallon. But the black winged are a difficult fish to keep and are not for beginners. There is also a tiny Pygmy hatchetfish Carnegiella myersi but I have never seen it for sale. . Although it's not uncommon for silver hatchet fish to reach sizes of 2-1/2 to 3 inches in larger aquariums (I had some huge ones in a 90), in the wild they actually stay much smaller maxing out at about 1-1/2 inches.

Here are the more common hatchets offered for sale:
Common Hatchetfish Gasteropelecus sternicla
Marble Hatchet fish Carnegiella strigata strigata
Marthae or Blackwinged Carnegiella marthae
Silver Hatchetfish Thoracocharax securis

You could also keep a school of six Ember tetras or one of the Dwarf rasbora's. These fish all stay very small and are recommended for a 10 gallon.

If you want a crayfish why don't you just set up a species tank for one. Crayfish will catch and eat fish if they can. They will mostly catch them at night when the fish are sleeping close to the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
Neon tetra's are also considered a good fish for a 10 gallon and are very easy to find in your LFS. You might have a hard time finding Ember's unless you order them online or ask your LFS if they can order them for you.

Rivercats said:
Neon tetra's are also considered a good fish for a 10 gallon and are very easy to find in your LFS. You might have a hard time finding Ember's unless you order them online or ask your LFS if they can order them for you.

Neons are too active for a 10g. Just stick with embers or you could look into chilli Rasboras and galaxy raboras.

You may feel that neons are too active for a 10 gallon but believe it or not they are recommended for a 10 gallon and are easily obtained. Slow-dagger is 15 and I am pretty sure is limited to buy what is available from a LFS. Not trying to argue here but while you feel neons are not suitable they are quite commonly kept in 10 gallons due to their size.

Back
Top Bottom