What fish is this? Will he work with cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phishhead46

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On the post below, I attached a picture of this sucker fish I have. (sorry forgot to add picture before I posted) Can anyone identify him. He is pretty territorial.

I really want to make my 40 gallon tank an African cichlid tank. As of now I have 1 tiger barb, 1 lemon tetra, 1 rainbow shark, and then this sucker fish?

Can anyone let me know if I can make this tank an African cichlid tank?? The ones I was looking at are very small. (about 1inch max size)

Extra info:
My tetra and barb are adults. Rainbow shark is about 3in. Sucker fish 2 1/2in.

Picture of mysterious sucker fish

Sucker fish needs identification. Attached

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 70
On the post below, I attached a picture of this sucker fish I have. (sorry forgot to add picture before I posted) Can anyone identify him. He is pretty territorial.

I really want to make my 40 gallon tank an African cichlid tank. As of now I have 1 tiger barb, 1 lemon tetra, 1 rainbow shark, and then this sucker fish?

Can anyone let me know if I can make this tank an African cichlid tank?? The ones I was looking at are very small. (about 1inch max size)

Extra info:
My tetra and barb are adults. Rainbow shark is about 3in. Sucker fish 2 1/2in.

Common plecos get huge (75 gal. Recommended). Africans only go with Africans so the rest often fish won't work. Also a 40 is really small for an African tank.

Also, tiger barbs and tetras need schools of at least 6. Rainbow sharks also require larger tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, there were more barbs and tetras. They have died overtime, and Ive been waiting for all of them to finally die so I can start a cichlid tank.

Im open to ideas on which ones can work. I wouldn't have a lot. The ones I saw were bright yellow and then a blue type. Any ideas?

Well, there were more barbs and tetras. They have died overtime, and Ive been waiting for all of them to finally die so I can start a cichlid tank.

Im open to ideas on which ones can work. I wouldn't have a lot. The ones I saw were bright yellow and then a blue type. Any ideas?

Honestly wouldn't do Africans. I believe they need larger tanks. In your circumstance after the rest of those fish perish, or are rehomed, I would also rehome the pleco as they are horribly messy. I would probably stock a school of fish and a couple show piece worthy fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any suggestions on bright and colorful fish? I want it to be a tropical look to it. I have a sand bottom with coral rock look. I've had aquariums for 5 years. I'm not completely new to taking care of fish and I like to do my research, so I do not need to be limited to beginner fish.

Any suggestions on bright and colorful fish? I want it to be a tropical look to it. I have a sand bottom with coral rock look. I've had aquariums for 5 years. I'm not completely new to taking care of fish and I like to do my research, so I do not need to be limited to beginner fish.

Look into some of the Platys out there. Lots of bright coloured non cichlid fish out there that would work. Try liveaquaria.com

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom