What fish like high PH like 8.0 beside African cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaindioux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

The PH in my tank is high thanks to crushed coral. What fish beside African cichlids like a high PH?

Thanks

Patrick

There are actually plenty of fish that like higher pH. Some SA cichlids, (Gymnogeophagus and Australoheros from Uruguay) quite a few species of pleco's (L-204 from Peru in particular) and most livebearers come to mind.

Most any fish will acclimate just fine to that water though. Why are you using CC if you're not trying to raise the pH for any specific purpose?

Hi

Thanks for the answers so far. I use crushed coral for 2 reasons, the first one is economical as I just got back in the hobby and that's what I had saved in the basement.
The second reason is I used to keep large fish and I used to always have problems with very low PH until a petstore owner told me to try crushed coral, I did and it worked . I am not sure what I will be keeping yet this time soI want to see my options.
So most fish will adapt huh? What if I do a community tank with (Sharks, barbs, 1 pleco, algea eaters, gouramis).
Will all these above adapt to 8.0 fine?

Thanks

Patrick

Hi

My tank is a 55 ga filtered by an ehem canister 2215. I have crushed coral on the bottom with a nice amount of rocks all over. No plastic plants yet but I will add some.

Thanks

Patrick

Crushed coral won't buffer the pH at 8.0, max for that is about 7.6. An eheim 2215 on a 55 is a bit low on circulation, only turns over the tank volume 3x/hour max. Alright for smaller fish, not good for cichlids.

How about a pair of oblongums? Mid-size cichlid, males 6" max, females about 4", general disposition about the same as keyholes. Play well with anything aside from other oblongums after they pair off IME.
Adult male:
img_1273898_0_38100a61d5134a1df2722a72b29e27c9.jpg

Adult female:
img_1273898_1_e48072028d2d66bde68957b35208c628.jpg

Pair together:
img_1273898_2_a118da1d3bdfdce8840c5d8e3bc41caa.jpg

I have over 100 juvies available, most are ready to pair off now.

Wow these are nice. They remind me of the convicts a little.

Thanks for sharing those great pics.

Patrick

you can add a little peat in a mesh bag to help lower the ph a little. agree that ph is most likely around 7.6 using the cc. dont bother with ph up or down products. ya, most aquarium bred/raised fish can live in water conditions different than in the wild, like wild angels like soft water(ph6) and tank bred angels can live in harder water(ph6.5-7.4) without any real issues

you can add a little peat in a mesh bag to help lower the ph a little. agree that ph is most likely around 7.6 using the cc.

Hi

Why is my PH 7.6 and not 8.0 like I read on my high range PH test kit?

Thanks

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom