What fish should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to stock this tank with fish soon and Im wondering what fish you guys think would be nice. Its a 10 gallon tank with an aquaclear 30 and I do 40-50% water changes atleast once a week. They must be shrimp safe. I was thinking some cardinal tetras or chili rasboras. And also a couple ottos for algae. The tank has been set up and cycled for months. It was originally going to be a shrimp only tank but it looks kind of empty.
img_2569626_0_c44a713415560f9f487e63b2f3440309.jpg

img_2569626_1_a66731030f7ec048a9e4c41ba0182aad.jpg

I LOVE cardinal tetras, they are beautiful!!! If i were you i would stock it with cardinal tetras but that is just my opinion.

I wouldn't do black cardinal tetras or neons in that size tank. Possibly ember tetras? Or cestial pearl danios (someone correct me on my spelling) chilli rasboras are pretty cool too

I wouldn't do black cardinal tetras or neons in that size tank. Possibly ember tetras? Or cestial pearl danios (someone correct me on my spelling) chilli rasboras are pretty cool too

Just saying, 8 neons would go perfect. Thats what I normally stock a planted 10g with

Just saying, 8 neons would go perfect. Thats what I normally stock a planted 10g with

It's debated weather try can go in a 10g. I had them in a 33g an I wouldn't put them in less than a 20g. Mine are darting all over the tank

It's debated weather try can go in a 10g. I had them in a 33g an I wouldn't put them in less than a 20g. Mine are darting all over the tank

Well yeah but its all uo to the OP. It wont hurt them in a 10g and up just like its okay for a few guppys or platys in a 10g. These fish dont get big at all

Well yeah but its all uo to the OP. It wont hurt them in a 10g and up just like its okay for a few guppys or platys in a 10g. These fish dont get big at all

It isn't there size, it's their activity and need of good water conditions. In smaller tanks its harder to keep water conditions good. All it could take is a drop of soap and most fish will die, but in a bigger tank that wouldn't affect them much.

It isn't there size, it's their activity and need of good water conditions. In smaller tanks its harder to keep water conditions good. All it could take is a drop of soap and most fish will die, but in a bigger tank that wouldn't affect them much.

Well I havent ever had problems with a 10g and neons. If the op wants neons it wont hurt. Neons arent all that active TBH. They will do just fine in the 10g with no more that 8

Well I havent ever had problems with a 10g and neons. If the op wants neons it wont hurt. Neons arent all that active TBH. They will do just fine in the 10g with no more that 8

They are pretty active given the correct space

They are pretty active given the correct space

OMG! Some of you are just so ugh! The darn fish can survive in a 10g np. Its up to the op no one else on what he chooses. Ive kept them in a 10g just the same as 110g. The activity levels have stayed the same. They swim a bit and twitch swim and twitch. Its how neons are. You may have a different perspective but ive kept these neons for well over 15 years.

Thank you everyone for your awesome suggestions. Its hard to choose with all of those cool fish. I guess its a good problem to have lol. Ill post what fish I pick on here.

OMG! Some of you are just so ugh! The darn fish can survive in a 10g np. Its up to the op no one else on what he chooses. Ive kept them in a 10g just the same as 110g. The activity levels have stayed the same. They swim a bit and twitch swim and twitch. Its how neons are. You may have a different perspective but ive kept these neons for well over 15 years.

Woah, no need to get rude. But this is debated by many aquarists. I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying it isn't a good idea since they would prefer a bigger tank...

Woah, no need to get rude. But this is debated by many aquarists. I'm not saying they can't, I'm saying it isn't a good idea since they would prefer a bigger tank...

Im not being rude, how do you "know" they like a bigger tank. Any fish would "like" a bigger tank. Its not the fishes choice, its the owners. I know without a doubt they can thrive in a 10g no problem

Im not being rude, how do you "know" they like a bigger tank. Any fish would "like" a bigger tank. Its not the fishes choice, its the owners. I know without a doubt they can thrive in a 10g no problem

Without a doubt? I had them in a ten gallon and they acted slow, and lazy. When transferred their activity shot up. I'm not arguing this further since it's a fact a 20g would be better for them and their requirements

Without a doubt? I had them in a ten gallon and they acted slow, and lazy. When transferred their activity shot up. I'm not arguing this further since it's a fact a 20g would be better for them and their requirements

Please show me where its "required" and ill leave it be

One from live aquaria and one from Wikipedia

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130720_145913.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130720_145913.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 60
  • ForumRunner_20130720_145933.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130720_145933.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 60
Please show me where its "required" and ill leave it be

I said requirements... They need very good water quality to survive. In smaller tanks it's hard to keep the water parameters pristine. One little bit of soap can kill all the fish, whereas in a bigger tank it probably wouldn't. Waste builds up quickly if the tank isn't cleaned, which can cause ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The bigger the school, the better. 8 is a perfectly fine amount but In a 10 gallon? Some say it's fine, others don't. There's plenty more fish which are more suitable to a 10 gallon... So why choose fish where it's debated if they can stay in a ten gallon?

Back
Top Bottom