What fish should I keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 10 gallon tank, and I want to figure out what fish I want to put in it so I can meet their needs w/ plants and such. Right now, I have my brother's loach (no idea what kind, it's thin and around 2 inches long) from an aquarium he stopped caring about, and I'm thinking about getting a dwarf gourami and a few guppies. The issue is: how do I get a few guppies without ending up with a swarm? And how many should I keep? A trio of females might come with babies, but I've heard that male guppies can get aggressive with each other. Any recommendations?

Increasing the number of male guppies will spread out aggression rather than 2 of them picking on the 3rd. Or go with females and if you get babies seperate them out and see if a fish store will take them.

A few guppies, a dwarf gourami and the loach sound good for a small tank. The loach might be better in a bigger tank with a few friends, depending on its type. Can you post a photo and see if someone can identify it?

The loach appears to be a mottled or sand loach (unsure which or if there's even a difference). Also, I don't think I can or should fit more male guppies in the tank, so I might have to go with females or I might need to consider a different fish.

Can you post a picture of your loach. There are a few species that stay small but most will get quite a bit larger and a 10 gallon will be unsuitable long term. Also most loaches are extremely social and require at least a group of 6; raising a loach by itself will likely result in aggression or aggression like behavior as it gets older.

Back
Top Bottom