What fish would you suggest..??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlumBella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Really need some colourful tropical fish.(freshwater NOT salt)

Suggest away....

300 litres

Wood/logs, moss ball, plants (real looking silky ones), rock type ornaments that allow them to hide.

Glass catfish
Neon tetra
Golden barb
Dark green/black swordtails
Red wag swordtails
One angelfish (now) black/silver/yellow
Tiger barbs
Green tiger barbs
Black widow tetra
1 Rainbow shark
Silver sharks
1 Humbug catfish
2 Bulldog Pleco
3 African Dwarf Frogs
Malaysian trumpet snails
1 assassin snail to reduce the trumpets numbers.
Danios
Male guppy
Serpae tetra
Coolie loaches
Siamese coolie loaches
Some kind of Tiger loach (4)

We have sand as the substrate

Last edited by a moderator:
300 liters= around 75 gallons

Angelfish and rainbow shark take up a lot of that
Clown loaches take up everything else
I strongly recommend rehoming a lot of your fish because you have no room and a lot of fish that can't school

It would help alot if you could put how many of each type of fish you have. That is one heck of a list for that size tank.

300 litres in a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft.

They are only 2 of each unless otherwise stated.

Not over stocked as we have had more and been fine.

Our filter filters at a rate of 2000 litres per day.
All levels for the tank are spot on constantly

We even do between 50% - 75% EVERY 7-10 days. 2 heaters one is used as back up.
Plus an in tank filter. Once a month all plants, ornaments are cleaned in the syphoned out tank water and put straight back in.
And the filters are given a clean in the syphoned out tank water every now and again..
Never ever in tap water..

Please read properly

One angelfish and one rainbow shark does not take up a lot of 300 litres...........!!!!!!

We do not have clown loaches.

This is a community tank.....!!!!!

I didn't say you didn't have enough filtration but you don't have enough space for your fish to live comfortably

Also. How big is your rainbow shark

300 litres

Wood/logs, moss ball, plants (real looking silky ones), rock type ornaments that allow them to hide.

Glass catfish
Neon tetra
Golden barb
Dark green/black swordtails
Red wag swordtails
One angelfish (now) black/silver/yellow
Tiger barbs
Green tiger barbs
Black widow tetra
1 Rainbow shark
Silver sharks
1 Humbug catfish
2 Bulldog Pleco
3 African Dwarf Frogs
Malaysian trumpet snails
1 assassin snail to reduce the trumpets numbers.
Danios
Male guppy
Serpae tetra
Coolie loaches
Siamese coolie loaches
Some kind of Tiger loach (4)

First off, please please use the edit button instead of making 5 posts one after the other. This tank is very poorly stocked. ( no offence) and it needs some work before adding more fish. I've counted nearly 11 different types of schooling and schoaling fish. I think you need to pick four. These were
Glass catfish
Neon tetra
Gold barb
Tiger barbs
Green tiger barbs
Black widow tetra
Danio
Sepae tetra
Khuli loaches
Tiger loach ( which I assume are clown loaches ) I may be wrong.
Pick 3-4 of them and boost the schools to six
If it were me I'd pick: neon tetra, khuli loaches, and danios.
Sharks: you're going to get lots of fights for territory in 300 litres between potentially 3 sharks. I would only have the rainbow shark.
Tiger barbs are aggressive and may in the future attack: angelfish and male guppies
Theres quite a few more problems but I'll let others explain them. Good luck :)

Never had any fight occur between any!

The numbers of some are low as lost a few gradually and got others instead.
Tiger loach is not a clown loach..
People do their tanks differently to others.

Only time one looks like he is boss is at feeding time. The rainbow sharks likes to chase them from the blood worm.
But never touches them, or stops them from eating.
It is more playful than aggressive.
Also had a pair of angelfish breeding unsuccessfully 4 times, they ate the eggs.

I personally don't understand asking for advise if you're not going to take the advise seriously. A lot of your fish need schools for them to be most comfortable.

I personally don't understand asking for advise if you're not going to take the advise seriously. A lot of your fish need schools for them to be most comfortable.

He didn't ask for advice on this subject, he asked for advice on what fish to add to his current setup and then was bombarded with "overstocked" and "poorly stocked" comments. He was merely defending himself and telling people that he isn't having the issues people are talking about. Are some of the schools in his tank big enough? No, but no need to say he "isn't taking advice, after asking for it". Just my 2 cents on it. There was some very helpful and informative advice on stocking and future possible issues though!

He didn't ask for advice on this subject, he asked for advice on what fish to add to his current setup and then was bombarded with "overstocked" and "poorly stocked" comments. He was merely defending himself and telling people that he isn't having the issues people are talking about. Are some of the schools in his tank big enough? No, but no need to say he "isn't taking advice, after asking for it". Just my 2 cents on it. There was some very helpful and informative advice on stocking and future possible issues though!

Or She*
Sorry not 100% sure

The op wants an additional fish to add to their current stock. Instead of telling the op of all the comparable fish they could add, people basically told the op they should fix their current stocking situation before even considering new fish

Majbarsalona said:
The op wants an additional fish to add to their current stock. Instead of telling the op of all the comparable fish they could add, people basically told the op they should fix their current stocking situation before even considering new fish

+1
You can't add anything as it is overstocked- that's what everyone is saying. To the OP, sooner or later you'll have issues with your overstocking, so better to fix it now.

Really need some colourful tropical fish.(freshwater NOT salt)

Suggest away....

Asked for "colorful tropical fish" in general. Just saying.

+1
You can't add anything as it is overstocked- that's what everyone is saying. To the OP, sooner or later you'll have issues with your overstocking, so better to fix it now.

I do see your point though of course. I just know many times I have asked questions and felt undermined by people doing exactly what they are doing here

Same to you as well. Completely understand what you mean, just hate seeing people kinda bombarded and feeling attacked about their setup. Sometimes things aren't always done by the books and it somehow works for people ya know?

The size of the fish in the store, is NOT the size they'll stay for there whole lives 95% of the time. Atleast as long as they're growth is not stunted by overstocking in their tank or too small of a tank.

Asked for "colorful tropical fish" in general. Just saying.

They asked for more fish, we have said they are overstocked. I was giving options as if they were to remove some fish, they could add more correct fish.

Back
Top Bottom