What freshwater fish have you not yet kept but really would like to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is the opposite of the other thread regarding what fish you've had and never would again.

For whatever reason, there are probably fish we'd like to keep but haven't been able to yet because of conflicts with current fish or lack of space.

My choice would be an arowana. Every time I see them swimming in a tank, I love watching them. A co-worker of my wife's has one in a 200 gallon tank and the thing mesmorized me.

But alas I only have a 60 gallon...and tons of fish which an arowana would eat. It's unlikely I'll ever have one. Oh well.

definitly an arowana or some discus.. and what about some ropefish, drangonfish or bichirs?

I can tell you that my discus are a joy. I recommend them to anybody who has the time for the water changes.

As for ropefish...I have a big time fear of snakes and so their look really puts me off.

Red-tail catfish, arowana, snakehead. I don't have room for the first two and the last is illegal.

I fully plan on keeping largemouth bass, bluegill, and channel cats some day. But we're talking a monster tank that's set up to look like a lake with sunken timber and everything. Gotta hit that jackpot first, and should probably try buying a ticket to increase my odds ;)

EELS. ;>
I had one once.. for like thirty minutes. My late ACF gobbled him up like spaghetti.
Also larger growing catfish and more large, interesting oddball fish.
Also arowanas, just because you know.. they're AROWANAS.

I fully plan on keeping largemouth bass
I raised an injured largemouth bass before (and released it successfully back into my grandparent's pond) and they are an absolute joy to keep! Way more intelligent and interesting than people would assume! He was eating from my hand the first day I had him, and even rubbed up against my hands whenever I was cleaning his tank.
I highly recommend them for anyone with the room! Or you could always keep a temporary rescue like I did for a while. I had him for about a year and a half before he was large and strong enough to be put back in with the big fishes and to this day he's still one of my favorite fish I've ever kept. :>

Too many fish, too few tanks. Pretty cool hobby. :)

An electric tank would be cool... schoal of elephant nose with an electric cat. A few congo tetra (20+) thrown in. I don't have enough experience, funds or knowledge to keep them properly yet though.

A native tank is on my list too. I'm torn between the larger fish and the small gobies that would likely need to be species only.

Hmmm, I kept a motoro ray for a friend temporarily while he set up his tank. Man that thing was SOOO cool. I would definitely want a large footprint tank to have some rays. They are super smart and beautiful. I would like to try out a monster tank too, one day, maybe, with some large fish. Also, an african only tank. Where I live you can't really get to choose from a great variety of fishes and I want shelldwellers! I got them once, but they all died in shipping except for one that lived for a few days before just dying. I have not had the opportunity/scared, to buy anymore since. Besides that, I don't really know. There are just so many different scenarios that you can do. I had a native tank for a while in a 110 too btw, and it was one of my best tanks. I had small LM Bass, bluegill and warmouth, crawfish and madtom catfish and bullfrog tadpoles. The LM bass was the smallest fish but eventually the dad's disappeared and i had to move the tadpoles out. The US has some gorgeous fish that are overlooked, just check out all the darters we have!

Some day I'd like to have a large brackish tank with things like Monos, Archers and gobies.

Freshwater rays. I think they're SOOOO cool. I don't really know much about them yet, but I think they're fascinating. My LFS has black ones with white spots and I can stand in front of their tank, pushing little kids aside (jk) to watch them.

Back
Top Bottom