What friends to choose for my 2 gouramies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Opalie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi to everyone!

After about 3 weeks our tank has finally cycled. Our 2 gouramies our doing great although at the beginning they were fighting for territory quite a bit! This weekend we are looking forward to adding some new fish….could anyone propose a species that would do well preferably from the Asian region….

30 gal
Ph=7.5 NO2=0 NH4=0 NO3=5mg
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Dwarf Gourami

Opalie...

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! :D

You can put all sorts of fish in the tank with your two gouramis. I'd recommend some of the smaller loaches like Yo-Yo loaches (Botia almorhae) as your bottom-feeders and perhaps some rasboras like the Red-tailed Rasbora (Rasbora borapetensis) or danios. I do keep Tiger Barbs with my Blue Gouramis but some people consider that to be risky. I have had absolutely no problems between the barbs and the gouramis, however. You could also consider some of the smaller barbs like the Cherry Barb.

Hope this helps!

a school of maybe 4 cories would be cool too, as well as a school of smaller tetra like the neon.

Thank you once again Fruitbat. Yesterday, we followed your advice and bought 3 baby yoyo loaches which seem now to be very happy in their new environment. They are grazing the bottom of our fish tank hungrily. We are also very happy that all our fish come from the broader Asian region. :p

I have 4 gold (albino) zebra danios with my two honey gouramis. I highly recommend them because of their active nature. They will swim all over the tank, top, middle and bottom in search of food and fun. They definitely make your tank interesting.

I also have 6 rasboras, however, I find them less active than the danios but they shoal together and occasional do their mating dance which is interesting. I also have 2 ottos and 2 cherry barbs.

I have a 39gal tank

Back
Top Bottom