What happened to my heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KayB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had this heater installed for about 8 months. This morning when I turned on the light to the tank I noticed it looked a bit hazy. Upon further inspection I noticed a haze on the glass, white particles on my moss ball and a white powder substance inside the heater. I checked the temp and it's normal...What happened? I will replace the heater later today...no fish loss yet...

Attachments

• heater.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 26
Maybe it cracked or the seal leaked and water got inside. Heaters are the aquarium equipment most likely to fail. Marineland Stealth heaters were recalled several years ago because they were exploding.

I wouldnt mess around with a potentially broken heater. Easier to just replace it rather than trying to diagnose what might be wrong. Bottom line is if water somehow got in then it should probably go as the next potential is frying your fish either from electrocution or the heater getting stuck on.

Heater taken care of

I was not going to wait for a disaster - stopped and picked up a new heater and installed last night. Fish are all ok. There is a white powder looking residue in my tank now even after doing a 50% water change. Thanks for all the advice!:thanks:

I was not going to wait for a disaster - stopped and picked up a new heater and installed last night. Fish are all ok. There is a white powder looking residue in my tank now even after doing a 50% water change. Thanks for all the advice!:thanks:

good! keep doing water changes and hopefully it'll go away!

Back
Top Bottom