What happens when?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was advised to change my filter media once a month,leaving one cartridge in and taking out the other. Should I do this?Or should I remove my carbon cartridge only after I seed new media(no carbon) and continue doing this every month? I really need extra BB as my ammonia is wacky sometimes. Also would adding filter floss,a sponge, and bio rings clear my water up more and add BB after I remove the carbon?

emerald76 said:
I was advised to change my filter media once a month,leaving one cartridge in and taking out the other. Should I do this?Or should I remove my carbon cartridge only after I seed new media(no carbon) and continue doing this every month? I really need extra BB as my ammonia is wacky sometimes. Also would adding filter floss,a sponge, and bio rings clear my water up more and add BB after I remove the carbon?

I have never changed my media.. but I don't use carbon either. I have read on here on other threads not to change it till its falling apart!?

+1 for not changing it until it falls apart. I learned the hard way and sent my tank into a new cycle, killing all my fish in the process.

My HOB has 2 filters. I changed one after 6 months, and alternate them every 6 months now.

Tetra1990 said:
+1 for not changing it until it falls apart. I learned the hard way and sent my tank into a new cycle, killing all my fish in the process.

Oh I'm sorry :( I just went thru a mini cycle in my 29, not sure what caused it... Only has 2 fish in it, I'm glad I didn't lose anyone seeing how it is already being used to rehabilitate fish!

Back
Top Bottom