What "human" foods to you give to your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dandries

Aquarium Advice Activist
I love supplementing my fishs' diets but I rarely see any suggestions so I thought I would start a thread about it.

When I say "human" I mean things not designed for fish. Also, how do you prepare it for your tank?

I give my plecos raw cucumbers and squash. I know some blanch it, but mine seem to like it raw. I use clips to attach it to the tank.

My goldfish get red leaf lettuce. I tried giving them Romaine and spinach, but they don't like it as well.

I have no clue what to give my angelfish or my Endlers.

Darcy

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I heard somewhere that you could feed beef heart but not sure

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

They offer frozen beef heart at LFS. I find the pieces are too big for my Endlers and need to blend it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Apple for some... I know my apple snails love apple!

Frozen peas, as said above, disappear in mere minutes in my tank.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With my goldfish, I have tried all sorts of fruit and veg, but only Mrs Peabody will eat the banana; everyone else will only eat peas.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Feeding Fish Human Food

Hello dan...

I feed my Plecos minced garlic. It's high vitamin and an immune system booster. They love it. Spice World has a good product. Plecos are meateaters, at least the different species I have like a little brine and Mysis shrimp, freeze dried shrimp, beefheart and other frozen foods. San Fran Bay has some good products. My 8 inch Pleco goes around the tank when all the other fish have eaten and vacuums up the leftovers.

B

Be careful with beef heart. They have gotten popular but can cause health issues with fish who aren't meant to eat warm blood animal protein. They make fish beef up but can cause issues when not appropriate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The outer leaves of cauliflower were a hit in my cold water tank, but it required 20 seconds blanching in hot water for the tropical. All the others are a winner in my tanks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello dan...

I feed my Plecos minced garlic. It's high vitamin and an immune system booster. They love it. Spice World has a good product. Plecos are meateaters, at least the different species I have like a little brine and Mysis shrimp, freeze dried shrimp, beefheart and other frozen foods. San Fran Bay has some good products. My 8 inch Pleco goes around the tank when all the other fish have eaten and vacuums up the leftovers.

B

What species of plecos do you have?

Oscars loooove hot dogs, lol. Several folks have blended up frozen seafood medley (tilapia, squid, etc) with great success. You can get large bags on the cheap.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Feeding Beefheart

Be careful with beef heart. They have gotten popular but can cause health issues with fish who aren't meant to eat warm blood animal protein. They make fish beef up but can cause issues when not appropriate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello joe...

San Fran Bay has a very good product. I've been feeding it, frozen of course, for several years with no problem. May be certain companies that have had problems with packaging.

B

Back
Top Bottom