what in the world is this stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok the best i can describe it is black hair algea. it completly covers my leafs on almost all my plants and cant be taken off the leaf without ruining the plant. it doesnt seem to be killing the plant just making it look really bad. i have a 10 gallon with 22 wats of lighting and no co2. and i also have a 5 gallon tank with 22 watts of lighting but it is raised off the tank so it isnt such a concentrated amout of light. both seem to be having the problem. i also have a 20 gallon but that one isnt nearly as bad as the rest. the 20 gallon only has 15 watts. can light be causing it? if so what can i do to counter it? i have a pic of what it looks like. i have giant hygro in all my tanks and that is the one it is doing it on i think because it has larger leaves.

I'm guessing you're using tap water, and the tap is nutrient rich. I had to switch to RO water to get rid of my hair algae problem. Others report success with carfully balanced fertilizers that give the plants a competitive edge over the algae.

I have that black algae covering my tank right now, and have isolated the problem to my tap water. I'm buying an RO system and starting up a planted tank soon :)

I don't have plants yet, but I hate that algae. It's probably feeding from the nutrients in the tap water.

I know there are some smaller algae eaters that actually gobble that stuff. The guy at my LFS puts his algae-problem plants in 1 of 2 tanks and these little guys just go to work. I forgot the name though... but am getting some soon. If you're interested, PM me and I'll find out the breed, etc.

It sounds a lot like BBA (Black Beard Algae) which is usually indicitave of low CO2 levels in a mid- to high-light tank. Low O2 levels can also lead to this type of algae. Removal of all affected leaves and an increase in CO2 levels is your best bet to fight BBA. Increase aeration and water circulation and, if possible, add CO2 to your tank, but, by all means, prune the affected leaves to prevent the spread of it.

i am usisng tap water and i dont have co2. i also dont have any tests because i dont take them. how much does a co2 set up cost? do algea eating shrimp eat this particular type of algea? and is there a way to get rid of the nutrients causeing the growth without ro water? also i would like u to PM me if u find out what they are thaiboxer. thanks for all the help

It all depends on what type of light,wattage per a gallon,and size of the tank. If you have a large tank(e.g 75),you should go pressurized, but if you have a smaller tank(e.g 30),you can go DIY.

well it would be for my 2 10 gallon tanks and if the c02 is a success i will be more densly planting them. also do you have a link to a diy co2 set up? all help would be great thanks.

Well,you can DIY yourself and to prove it,I have DIY in my 15 gallon with compact flourescent lights. Ok get a empty 2 liter bottle,silicone tubing,rigid tubing(make sure the rigid and the silicone tubling are the same size!!)aquarium silicone,check valve, and some kind of diffuser(bubble ladder,powerhead ect.). Get these first and then I'll tell you how to make it.But you can use either but the Hagen Nutrafin Natural CO2 System(http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=8981&N=2004+113779) or the Jungle CO2 Fizzy Factor(http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=6318&N=2004+113779)

i think i will just buy the co2 lol i have the money and it will work plenty fine. can u have 2 much co2? i really hope this will solve the problem. also i seem to be getting algea on my sand. it is forming almost a green carpet and really pissing me off. will this help lower the algea in my tank? thanks again for your opinions

The first thing to do to help control algae is to inject CO2. You can add to much but that is hard to do with a passive system. The other cause of algae is a nitrate phosphate imbalance.

i have had my water tested at the lfs and the only thing i founf out was that i have hard water lol. he said everything was withing normal ranges. i will look into a co2 system as soon as possible and hopefully have something set up within the next few weeks. thanks again for your help.

When you shake the bottle, you can put ur finger over the rigid tubing that is attached to the lid it will prevent the yeast solution from getting into the tank. Hard water is also high in minerals, maybe that is what is causing the algae.BTW adding CO2 to the tank will lower the pH. Basically acid water, high CO2, hard water low CO2.

i am kinda glad i have harder water because i am currently planning out a cichlid tank for after christmas. but thanks for telling me about the hard water an low co2 thing that will help when choosing the co2 set up i want.

The main way to tell if you're injecting too much CO2 is to watch your pH levels. If they drop below acceptable range, it's too much. If you have any kind of turbulance or an airstone, you won't have to worry as excess CO2 will get driven off back into the atomosphere. (This is fine by those that generate thier CO2, but those that get the pressurized canisters do everything they can to reduce this loss.)

Back
Top Bottom