What Interesting Bottom Feeders Are There, Other Than Plecos and Cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Like I said, other than cories and plecos, what other interesting bottom feeders are there.

Bottom Feeders

Like I said, other than cories and plecos, what other interesting bottom feeders are there.

Botia/loaches are nice & colorful bottom feeders. I recently purchased a whiptail catfish...VERY COOL FISH! :fish2:They can school together or you can just get 1. The same goes for the botia/loaches. With the botia/loaches, sometimes they lay on their side & play dead, like a dog...very fun to watch. I suggest using Google.com to look at the various types of botia/loaches, as there are many to chose from. Hope this helps! (y)

I really like my black kuhli loaches. At feeding time they are like a pack! I used to have a striped peacock eel. Not really sure if you'd consider eels bottom feeders but still cool.

Ok, cool, now, what interesting bottom feeders would look interesting and be compatible with 7 rummy nose Tetra, hatchetfish, von Rio tetra, danios, half a dozen cories, 3 Angelfish, ghost shrimp, and a few mystery snails. In a 45 long with smooth gravel, and medium planted with quality fake plants. (please, save the fake plant argument for another time)

I'd go with the Kuhli loaches they are awesome I just picked up a few more for my tank they defiantly love being in groups tho so I'd get maybe 4 or 5

My vote is for the Rosy Loaches. They are super cute and you could have a big 'herd' of them in your tank. You could probably go with about 8-10, since they only get to a little over an inch. Maybe you could have even more.

Kuhlis prefer sand, but if they can burrow they are happy.

Rosy Loaches are nice and social.

I love Cories, there are hundreds of species and colors, but other types ?

Banjo Cats
Amano Shrimp
Dwarf Crayfish
Check Loaches Online and Planet Catfish for more ideas and best care guides.

Just remember the rare/exotic species are often not easy to keep alive. Common species are often common because they are hardy.

People please stop recommending Pictus Cats.
Babies are lovely. They get big and EAT the small fish just like many wide mouth Catfish.

His Tetras etc would be a meal overnight. Even small Pictus have BIG mouths.

People please stop recommending Pictus Cats.
Babies are lovely. They get big and EAT the small fish just like many wide mouth Catfish.

His Tetras etc would be a meal overnight. Even small Pictus have BIG mouths.

You have a good point there. But I have had no trouble... Yet.

I don't want pictus, I had one, ate some zebra danios of mine. Given that was at the beginning of my hobby days. So, other than those...

I like the look of the rose loaches, but whether or not my LFS has/can get them is the question. And they top out at about one inch? Would they be safe with 3 Angelfish in the tank, I forgot to mention them earlier. Also, are there any, like blueish colored ones?

I know The Wet Spot Tropical Fish has them. In the wild they get to about an inch, but in the aquarium they get a little bit larger.

I am not thinking there are any blueish ones.

I like the look of the rose loaches, but whether or not my LFS has/can get them is the question. And they top out at about one inch? Would they be safe with 3 Angelfish in the tank, I forgot to mention them earlier. Also, are there any, like blueish colored ones?

Very few FW fish are blue. There are some crazy patterned Loaches. Only a few stay small enough and stay peaceful.

Angels might be too much for Rosie's.
look at
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-striata
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-kubotai

Back
Top Bottom