What is a good external filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfriend09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive been looking around for a decent filter at a good price to replace the internal Fluval 2plus i have running in my aquarium which is around 100 litres, can anyone tell me which is the best to get at a good price. I have been looking at this one here but i dont know if it is good or not * Eheim Classic 2213 Plus External Filter + FREE MEDIA! *. Apologies to admins if links are not allowed please let me know if that is so.

I dont know how to convert to USD, but based on that website, it looks like the eheim is significantly less than the fluvals and renas... generally, those two are the cheaper ones, and better IMO... but Eheim does a good job and makes a great filter. That would be fine for your tank, IMO

Ok thanks for that, i may also have a look around my LFS and see if they can offer me a good deal

well a hob is a external filter. my fav hob is the aquaclear filters. as for canisters the rena xp or the c series. eheim are a good canister but that one doesnt have the quick release like the others i like.

quick release is huge.. and a must have imo. i have a fluval 305 canister filter and love it. i've also talked with their customer/tech support who were very helpful.

What exactly is this quick release thing and how does it make the filter better, also how do i know if a filter has this quick release?

the quick release means that you can just flip a lever basically, and the hoses come off, then snap back on... makes for easy cleaning... that filter doesnt have one, but the eheim 2224 pro series i have does have that...

Eheim Eccos are pretty awesome. I got one off craigslist and it has some nice features. Auto priming and its real easy to open up and clean. I just push the handle and it pops right open. They're a lot cheaper than the Fluvals, if a bit less efficient.

--Adeeb

What exactly is this quick release thing and how does it make the filter better, also how do i know if a filter has this quick release?
the rena marineland and the fluval have quick release that when you lift a leaver it closes the hose so it doesnt lose the suction and allows you to easy pull the filter out to clean it.

here are some decent images of how the quick release works.. fluval calls it an aquastop valve.. in the third image you can see the valve and hoses being pulled away from the canister. basically your input and output hoses stay full of water and connected to the tank, while you move the canister to be cleaned or whatever.

Google Image Result for http://www.arkpetsonline.co.uk/images/products/fluval-105-external-canister-filter-a2015873.jpg

Thanks for that link i think i see how it works now, if the fluval 105 has this then surely the 205 will yeah, what do you think of this price for it Fluval 205 External Filter

Well i settled for that Fluval 205 and ordered it from that site for £59.99, yay.
Hopefully it should arrive by saturday. I shall let you all know how i get on with the setup and how it compares to my internal

The eheim classic canister filters are excellent quality, but I'd go with a 2215 rather than a 2213. They don't have a quick release like some of the other models, but they do have disconnect valves on the hoses that serve the same purpose,
For hob filters I personally prefer aquaclears. They're easier to clean than canisters, and considerably less expensive as well.

Are canister gph overrated like HOBs? For instance, canister manufacturers list 100-200 gph as suitable for a 30gal aquarium. I am having trouble believing that.

your answer is yes and no. most list the max possible gph for the pump. thats not counting the media and stuff. now they do say the canisters are good up to larger tanks then i would ever use them on. a general rule is to take the size of the aquarium they claim its good for and cut it in half. i think this is one of the few "rules" ill ever agree too. its harder to find but you should look for gph including the media. even that as soon as it gets dirty the flow is cut down even more.

It also depends on your stocking and bioload, how many times/hour you need to turn over the tank volume. A planted tank lightly stocked with small fish doesn't need the same amount of circulation and filtration as a crowded tank full of African cichlids.

Arrived and was set up yesterday, what an amazing filter :D, although im gonna have to do a little bit of diy on my aquarium hood so it fits properly now :p

Back
Top Bottom