What is a good source of ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xXDiamondNekoXx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be cycling a 10 gallon fish tank soon. I know that ammonia in a bottle can not be 100% pure and can have perfumes, dyes, etc. I also know that many people use fish food or shrimp, but it can cause fungus and mold. What do I use? Tell me what you used as an ammonia source or what you think is best. :fish2:

Dr Tim aquatics sells ammonia in a dropper bottle is around 2USD and won't require you to buy a separate eye dropper.

You can use a table shrimp and put it in a pantyhose so it doesn't decay all over the tank.

Or 10% grade ammonia(that's plenty strong) can be found at most hardware stores for a couple bucks. I got mine from ACE. I didn't even use half the bottle to cycle my 75g.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435073711.726262.jpg

Caleb

Ask your LFS for a handful of their sand or rock bottom substrate. Throw it in your tank. Wait 4-6 weeks for nitrate to test above 1. Your tank is cycled and you didn't spend money.

Contrary to common perspective, the bacteria within the colony does not need to be "fed" throughout colonization but simply colonize and process the initial ammonia. I have pissed in a tank to start it off.

+1 to the table shrimp. It's a very good source of ammonia while giving nutrients to feed bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom