what is a power head??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an ugf and was wondering what a power head does i know its for a ugf but whats its role??

A powerhead increase surface agitation of your water by creating more gph outflow. It basically hooks on the inside of your tank, and shoots out a quick stream of water. It helps to create a faster water current in your tank, or in your case, a much greater surface agitation so that you don't get stagnant water from it not moving enough.

I've never used one, so maybe someone else will come along who has some experience..

Powerhead is just a fancy name for a water pump. For a UGF, best to do reverse flow - that is, you hook up the pump so the water is going down the "uplift tubes" and out the holes in the plates. The pump circulates the water through the gravel so the whole gravel bed is oxygenated - as the cycling bacteria needs oxygen to break down fish waste.

if it pushes water down the uplift tubes does most of the fish waste that settles in the gravel and on the bottom float out and pollute the water???

No, it will only clear the area right above the UGF. Other waste should not float up. With weekly water changes using a gravel vacuum, you will be minimizing waste in the tank. :D

How much gravel (in inches) should the gravel bed be on a FW aquarium, using the reverse flow methdod?

I'll also have two Emperor 400's. Is enough to support a heavy fish load in a 100 gallon tank?

Thanks,
Mitch

hockeydude15 said:
if it pushes water down the uplift tubes does most of the fish waste that settles in the gravel and on the bottom float out and pollute the water???

That would be a reverse UGF setup and you can get reversible powerheads for this. I havent done a RUGF but heard it was nifty. Not enough force to make poop "fly out" supposedly.

I just went away from UGFs altogether in my fresh tanks a little while back and I probably won't go back to any kinda UGF.

Back
Top Bottom