What is a refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are they good for? What is their purpose? What setups benefit from refugiums?

Mostly they are for saltwater. Bit some use them in freeshwater especially if they fight high nitrates but cant keep plants in the tank because of certain fish or whatever.

Andrew McFadden said:
Mostly they are for saltwater. Bit some use them in freeshwater especially if they fight high nitrates but cant keep plants in the tank because of certain fish or whatever.

But I'm still not clear about what it is. Ha sorry. Do you grown bb in it?

Refugium is an extra tank that is connected to your display tank. What will be in the fuge(refugium) depends on the needs and type of your display or purely personal preference.

Samples are, Saltwater setup,

The fuge for these mostly contains a lot of macro algae running on reverse photosynthesis lighting with the display tank to help with PH fluctuation during the night.

Never done any research on fuge for freshwater. Never heard of one being use in freshwater either but, I could be wrong. :ermm:

Well I've seen some setups for a saltwater tank that look to me like a planted setup inside the Refugium. I mean they can't be fresh right? What about brackish? I just think its an interesting concept. And I wanted to know more about the practicality of a Refugium.

But I'm still not clear about what it is. Ha sorry. Do you grown bb in it?

I'll use mine for an example I'll have to get a picture later.

I have a trickle filter that drains to a refugium (freshwater) i have a deep sand bed for bacteria to grow and I couldn't tell you how many plants. Its to help lower my nitrates, that's about it for mine.

They can be used on about any setup.

Back
Top Bottom