what is best for getting rid of green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokey11

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is best for getting rid of green algae on the sides of glasses?

I already have two saimese algae eater, 2 ottos, one pleco n couple amano shrimps.
But I still get green algaes on the glass which takes me forever to scrub off.

Yeah I have the same. Cleaning sponge and elbow grease. I only do the viewing sides (so front and left side). The right side and back I leave as is.

Elbow greasy is a figure of speech, referring to the work your going to have to do to get the algae off. How long do you keep your lights on every day? What is your water change schedule?

Scrub it! Do u have live plants? They help with algae by competing for nutrients in the water. I used to have an algae issue then went to live plants. Over time the algae was choked off and gone. With the help of a few plecos of course. :)

Alright I looked at all these responses I have ottos as my aquarium is only a 20g so not much room for more, it is wisteria heaven in my aquarium so much so I have given some to a girlfriend in exchange for guppy babies, I only have my lights on for 6-8 hrs a day it is not in direct sunlight, my water change schedule is once a week usually with a top off for evaporated water, and yet I scrap algae, every couple of weeks.... I have some growing on the baby net now :(

I leave lights on for 4 hr per day with co2 running at appx 2 bubbles per sec. Water change 1/2 everyweek.

It does look like the pace of algae growth has slowed. We'll see in couple weeks whether they will disappear. .

Back
Top Bottom