what is compatible with a betta??? suggestions for 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_Boy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 5 gallon tank

i want to get a betta
what can i put with the betta??

anything?
any suggestions?

i was thinking either:
snails
white clouds
danios
cories.

but i don't know how many i can put in there...
can someone please tell me the stocking limit.

also.
do i need a heater in a 5 gallon tank??
according to bettatalk.com
she said do NOT put a heater in anything less than 5 gallons.

also.
is a HOB/power filter good for a betta???
i have an aquaclear -mini .
Is this O.K??
will the betta be ok with the waterfall??

I would probable go with a trio of otocinclus cats. Bettas don't like strong currents. They also don't like very active tankmates. For this reason, I wouldn't put any Danios in. Bear in mind that you'll have to feed the otos as they won't find enough algae in a 5g tank to survive on. Whether you need a heater depends on the temp in your house. If you keep it in the mid 70's, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're a cheapskate like me, and keep the thermostat on 67* in winter, then I would put a small heater in the tank. JMHO.

Bettas are tough fish. Ive seen them withstand some pretty adverse conditions, but that isnt to say that it wasnt harmful to the fish. I feel the same as loganj....just keep an eye on the temperature in the tank. If it fluctuates more than a few degrees over the course of the day, you might want to think about a small heater just to keep the temperature at a constant. Most fish can withstand temperatures a little cooler or warmer than normal, but they dont seem to like the temperature to change drastically. Drastically can be just a few degrees over a few hours time.

As for tank mates, I might have to skip the advice there. Ive had Neon tetras, shrimp, corycats, plecos....all with a Betta, but Ive never had them in anything smaller than a ten gallon tank. Keep in mind that the Tetras are generally a schooling fish so you might have to find a tank mate thats a little more solitary, just to keep the numbers of fish down in your small tank. You might try to add plants. Bettas like planted tanks if I remember correctly and a lot of plants in a smaller tank might help make the tank not look so empty with just one fish. Just a thought. Good luck!

A snail or two would be fine. The white clouds would be too. A small school or 4 would be nice. Oto cats would work nicely too, but you would have to feed them, as described above.

I would still get a heater. Even though you might not think it, your water temperature does fluctuate, especially at night. I would get a heater, just to keep it stable, IMO.

Good luck.

I agree with the heater suggestion -- bettas are very stressed by fluctuating temperatures. I have a 25-watt Visitherm Deluxe heater in my 5 gallon betta tank. It's set to 80 degrees. I think cory cats' maximum temperature is 78 degrees, but they should adapt to 80 degrees. The hatchery I go to has an air temp of 80 degrees year round and all the fish are fine.

I've got 2 otos and a ghost shrimp in with my female betta in a 5 gallon, and they seem to be doing great.

I'll have to disagree on danios not being able to be housed with bettas. I have my male betta with 4 other danios and the are very happy. However, danios should have a larger tank than a 5 gallon because they are active swimmers.

What about some big snails or a trio of pygmy cories? Stay away from anything with flashy fins. Bettas don't appreciate them. :wink:

Yep. Pygmy cories are currently my favorite fish.

For your tank (If planted) How bout make this-
3-white clouds
1-betta
4-pygmy cories
1- otto
some shrimp

The one inch per gallon rule does not apply to planted tanks- only to very cautious people that don't like to experiment :D

Lance, I agree to a point, but this is just a 5 gallon tank so fish ratio to swimming space is a problem. You don't want them crowded. I'd drop the white clouds from that list. Just my opinion though.

I can understand the reasoning behind the small swimming space, but bettas don't swim around very much anyway, you can keep 3 white clouds in a gallon tank, and the cories would have the entire bottom to themselves- swimming around the top and mid occasionally, and the oto just sticks to the walls and stuff.

I've been following this thread, wondering what to put in with my own betta. My first fish! :D
I have to disagree with Lance M. saying " bettas don't swim around very much anyway ". Mine cruises around the entire tank all day long. He's quite a busy little guy. I've been thinking about livebearers and cories as companions.

I just switched to a hob filter in my ten gallon betta tank and his dorsal fin was BADLY damaged, so I would not use one. I am going to get him a small sponge filter. As for tank mates, When I had a betta years ago, I kept a small aquatic frog in with him. Also I think a really cool snail would be neat. Or you could keep him by himself. No harm in doing that.

Back
Top Bottom