What is going on with my water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zapero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is what I got going on.

90 Gallon tank been running for about 3 weeks. With wet/dry and Canister filter. I do have about 4 small fish in it.

My readings tonight are:

PH - 7.0

Ammonia - 1ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 5ppm

They were close to the same last night so I did a water change. I plan to do another one again tonight. I did about a 30 percent change last night.

I used a piece of driftwood from a buddies established tank. I have access to a HOB established filter as well.

Is my tank cycled now since the Nitrate is showing up? or is it because of the wood that he gave me? I thought that the ammonia should be at 0ppm if the nitrate was showing up?

Thanks.

Mumma is correct! Your not cycled yet & fish-in cycles can take anywhere from @8wks or longer. Have your checked your tap water as well for amm/nitrites/nitrates/ph? It would give you a better idea of what your starting with. If you have access to an established filter with established filter media that would definitely help speed things along!

I tested again today. My Ammonia is a tad bit lighter (more Yellow) than last night and my Nitrates are still around the same. I think its getting close, but just not quite there yet.

Hopefully Soon!

Although last night I did put in a old filter pad from a established wet/dry... perhaps that is the reason the ammonia went down?

If the old filter pad came from an established tank, yes, it is helping things along! Just keep monitoring everything for now & doing pwcs as needed & you should be fine! :)

Is it ok to change the water using the sink connect? I have been doing it via buckets and dechlorinating the water that way.

I just am not sure about putting 90 gallons worth of Prime into the tank and then filling up directly from sink if it will effect the bacteria as it is still cycling and growing?

Should I Just stick to the bucket method for now until cycled?

Thanks

As long as you're using Prime, one water source is as good as another. I've never lifted a single bucket to change out water in my tanks.

Ya the sink is by far much easier than the bucket method. I will start doing it that way if there is no harm to the bacteria while filling up.

ya i think it says when filling tap directly to tank to use the correct amount of prime as your whole tank. So In my case two capfulls and I should be good.

Its hard to believe that little amount of prime will detox the tap water...

Good News! I think my cycle is almost completed. Did not do a water change today and my ammonia has gone down from about 1.0ppm to .50ppm over night. Nitrate is 0 and Nitrate is between 5-10!

A couple more days and I should be good I think!

Almost there!

Tested again tonight and my numbers are this..

PH 6.8

Ammonia .25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10

Looks like by the end of the weekend Ill be cycled if this keeps up! Hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom