What is growing on my decor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littleboo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm pretty much at the end of my fishless cycle that I have been doing for about a month now. A couple weeks ago I noticed some strange whiteish, fuzzy looking stuff growing on one of my tank decorations. I didn't really think anything of it and thought it might just go away but it has gotten worse and is on another one of my decorations. It is clumped in some areas and stringy in others. It is not, however, on my fake plants, heater, filter, walls or gravel. The decorations that it is on are slimy to the touch and the stuff breaks away easily. In some spots it's yellowish. So what is it and what is my best course of action for getting rid of it? Here's a couple pictures sorry they're not larger.

Attachments

• download (4).jpg
    download (4).jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 56
  • download (5).jpg
    download (5).jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 49
It is probably an algae. I get it on my driftwood. You can just take the decorations out and clean them and that should help. You can also dip the decorations in peroxide or squirt peroxide around the decorations. Just don't use more than a tablespoon full at a time. It will go away on its own
if you wait but it will take awhile

If I take them out and clean them will it hurt my nitrate much or be detrimental to my cycle? I was hoping to add fish Sunday.

No most of your bacteria lives in the filter media. You can put some clean, treated water in a bucket and swish the decorations in it before cleaning. Than just pour the water back into the filter. You can do this with your filter material too to seed another filter. However, just for the decorations, it shouldn't be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom