What is growing on my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwolt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1D515D39-B1E0-493C-9FFF-4BDA5CC7C7C3.jpg
EB0F10E6-4AD4-4AF5-A774-E6E92F858666.jpg
The first plant is real and the second is fake. It started on the more grass like real plant and now spread to this one. I scrubbed it off the grass plant and then it was back the next day. Looks a lot worse than I could get it to come out in the pictures. If I had to describe it, it looks like a dark brown algae.

My tank is about two weeks old. I have been doing thirty percent water changes every day to help my Betta regrow his fins. I got him in bad shape but I’ll get your opinion on that in another post. The first day I set up the tank and planted the plants I added seachem flourish, but have not added more since. When I do the water changes I use seachem prime.

This is the only place it is in my tank. Not on any of the other plants. But there is one plant a lot closer to where it originated on the grass plant than this fake plant is to it.

Whatever it is how do I get rid of it? Thanks!

Hi there,

New tanks often get brown algae that brushes off easily. Do a search for diatoms and read some of the threads. It will go away on its own in time and is not harmful--just ugly. There are some fish and snails that will eat it, and you can reduce it some by adjusting light levels. However, mostly it is just a phase that you suffer through with new tanks, and it will eventually go away on its own.

Is your tank cycled? It's not clear from your post if it is or not. If you're not familiar with the need to cycle a tank, please also read the articles on this site about cycling with fishes. It sounds like you are doing partial water changes, which is good, but if you are cycling you will need to be sure your schedule is right for maintaining the cycle and protecting your fish. Apologies if I am telling you something you already know.

To me it just looks like regular ole brown spot algae. The spot it originates in, is more than likely due to that is the spot that favors it most. I would treat it like it can spread, because it actually possibly can. All algae have the capability to thrive in some pretty harsh environments, even more so in an environment that supports it. Also, to my knowledge, when growing on the leaves of live plants, if it becomes an actual nuisance it can inhibit or out-compete that plant for light.

Like mentioned previously, I would dial the lights back some. I would also check parameters to be sure there is nothing supporting the growth. Depending on your system's size (preferably 20 gallons or bigger) and your current stock, I would consider getting a Siamese algae eater if possible. I had a problem like yours, but much worse when I was in freshwater. I had a 75 gallon bowfront, and I got two or three of these guys. They put in some serious work! The best thing about them was, they specifically targeted the leaves of my plants. They picked them clean! I was very pleased with them, and they were very active. I began paying more attention to these guys, more so the others! So, that is a possibility! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom