what is happening to my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been in the midst of a restarted cycle because I had to switch filters for the last week my ammonia levels have been pretty constant never going above .25ppm this was achieved by 4 pwc of about 25% each today it read over .50ppm so I did an immediate 50% wc why are my ammonia readings going up again when they were staying constant and when will I be able to stop stressing over this?

If you changed the filter, as you said, the cycle restarted. It should go faster than last time, but in the mean time, you are doing the right thing... keep the ammonia at .25ppm or below.

When you changed the filter you removed a large portion of your good bacteria. Until the bacteria colonies rebuild to the point they can handle all the ammonia your tank produces the ammonia levels will climb.

Just tested again and I'm somewhere between 0 & .25 (I'm kinda color blind) hopefully this holds

sounds like you are close... it should go a lot quicker than the first time around.

Back
Top Bottom