What is in my tank?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlonelyCody

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a QT tank that i have a black finned shark in right now, he has ick. I am trying to kill it with salt and i noticed on the filter intake that i have redish brown crystal looking things growing what is it. is it a type of algee? i have never seen it befor is it because of the raises salt content? will it harm my black finned shark or will it harm any of my fish?

Please Help!! :wink:

Salt crystals, though small, grow on the filter outflow if you're dosing heavily with salt... If you have a fertilized substrate, the color of the crystals may be due to that... Or a red-brown rust algae may be growing under or on the salt crystals...

Have you thought about the high temperature Ich treatment instead of the salt? I hear it's much more effective.

i have thought about that. it is just i know that the black finned shar is a scaleles fish and the research that i have done on him says his max temp is 79 the tank is at 77 right now. I :) just don't want to hurt him.

Heavy salt will probably hurt him a lot more than higher than normal temperatures. He can survive much more than 79 degrees, its just not his prefered temperture or good in the long run. 1-2 weeks to kill ick at 86 degrees shouldn't hurt him

ok ....thanks....but i thought that the black finned shark could be converted to salt water i have seen some in salt water. :?

Back
Top Bottom