What is it with Plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I cannot keep plecos alive in my tank for longer than two weeks. I bought two beautiful plecos on Black Friday -- they were a deep, dark brown color. Slowly their color faded and they became greyish-brown with spots. And then they both died within five days of one another. This is my third failed attempt to keep plecos. I purposefully bought larger plecos (four inches) because I thought they might be stronger to be introduced to a new tank, but no luck. I fed the plecos directly with both bottom feeder tablets and Hikari algae tablets -- I witnessed them eating their food. And of course they went around the tank sucking for algae (my tank doesn't have a lot of algae, which I why I supplemented their diets). Water parameters are normal: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates. The water has been cloudy for the past few days. Any ideas? FWIW, I had a pair of mollies die very suddenly, too, just within the past week.

Did you by any chance do a water change sometime before the deaths?

Being that you're in Denver and I'm north of you, I know your water will be about the same as mine. We lost a ton of tetras in a water change.

Back
Top Bottom