what is my ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyApril83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh my reading this morning is really confusing me. Why is my reading this (refer to pic) what is the reading.. used high and low ph test. And with the other results what do I do..

1. My tap water is 7.6
2. Just finished ich treatment with heat..and one dose of Maracide (I only did one dose cuz it killed a fish within hrs and I read that heat only will work and I have shrimp and loaches)
3. The water level is still low cuz the water is still hot..cooling slowly now.. Want to keep the 02 up until I'm back to normal temp
4. Just added a new aquaclear 70 2 days ago with the sponge biomedia and carbon (to get the maracide out completely)...still have the old filter on too...topfin40
5. I tested the water flowing out of the ac70 filter
6. The tank was cycled before It got ich (dont know if treatment/excessive cleaning of gravel and decor) could have messed it up

There is no wood ......and at the moment my ammonia is 0.5, 0 nitrite and 5ppm of nitrate...
I don't want info on the ammonia as I know that is high and I will attempt a partial water change this evening as I have 3-4 ppm of ammonia in my tap water so this is an improvement. Please note I do understand the ammonia..I have to work with what I have at the moment.

ForumRunner_20130907_102506.jpg
The one on the right is using the reqular ph one and the one on the left is high ph

Also the fish are happy! Swimming around the whole water columb calm not jetting around or pale and all are eating even the loaches and shrimp
I have 5 moss balls if that matters.

ForumRunner_20130907_103025.jpg
!TAP WATER RESULTS!!

This is further away zoomed in if that helps could not get flash working as my phone is dying

ForumRunner_20130907_104031.jpg

Should I test from inside the water column? Normally I do test from the middle of the tank ....(will have to wait to do that as I just took a sleeping pill and I need a ladder to reach in my fish tank...and that's an all around bad idea)

On the tank your ph is to low no need to run the high ph on it, but It looks like you may need to run it for your tap water. When doing water changes I would double dose prime. this will turn your ammo in to a less toxic form of ammo for around 24 hours. Which should hopefully be enough time for bb to catch up and get it out of the tank.
Sadly the biggest issue you are going to have is that ph level. Acidic levels like that will basically stop your bb from working and it will begin to kill them. Which with your tap isn't good. Do a small water change with the double dose prime if not more other people can make better recommendations on the dose I am going off the bottle. You need to restore the buffers in your water. You will most likely need to several small ones to slowly raise ph and not stress the fish. No more than .3 +or - a day. I hope that helps

I agree on the ph. Its definitely 6 or any number below 6 as this is the low limit on the test. Time for some gradual wcs (over the course of a day) to slowly restore buffers to your tank and adjust the ph into range with your tap.

I agree on the ph. Its definitely 6 or any number below 6 as this is the low limit on the test. Time for some gradual wcs (over the course of a day) to slowly restore buffers to your tank and adjust the ph into range with your tap.

How many gallons at once as my tank is 37gallons..would it be okay to just add water as I have a good 5inches from filled? I don't want to over do the ph as my tap is so high in comparison....any clue on the cause of this...I could easly add a gallon or two before I get dizzy from my sleeping pill. i will run the high on the tap while I'm waiting. Thank you so much!

Take your time so your fish can adjust to the increasing ph. I would fill the balance of the tank then wait an hour or two and test the ph. Then do 20-25% wcs every few hours until it normalizes. The ich med likely had effect on your tank ph as malachite green has a complex relationship with calcium and ph levels. Make sure you keep a close watch on all your parameters over the upcoming week or so in case your good bacteria took a bit of a hit. Good luck!

Take your time so your fish can adjust to the increasing ph. I would fill the balance of the tank then wait an hour or two and test the ph. Then do 20-25% wcs every few hours until it normalizes. The ich med likely had effect on your tank ph as malachite green has a complex relationship with calcium and ph levels. Make sure you keep a close watch on all your parameters over the upcoming week or so in case your good bacteria took a bit of a hit. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm betting it did... Seems that everything that can gone wrong in this tank has it feels like....I mean if I can get this down and works I will be elated ...just frustrated cuz I'm trying so hard to not harm them.

Hang in there!!! Aquariums can sometimes be extremely frustrating at times and we all want whats best for our fish! I know you are doing your best! :)

Ok so first step I added 2.5 gal of treated water. Now I will wait a few hours to teat again to let the everything go through the fiters.
Not planning on feeding today...fish are practically attacking me when I walk by the tank. They are hungry because ibeen feeding minimally for 10 days already because of the ich that I just cured...

Ma..hey ma...ma..where's the food! I have the lights off to reduce stress but their coloring looks so good
ForumRunner_20130907_114241.jpg
And the fish that is blurry had half of his belly fin completely to his body when I got him and its grown almost 100% in 8 weeks

So I tested again tonight since adding more treated tap water this am ph is up to 6.4-6.6 so I'm going to wait to add more till tomorrow don't want to shock the fish. And ammonia is .25-.5 nitrite is 0 didn't test nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom