what is that toxic chemical that builds up in the gravel???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
i forgot that toxic substance that builds up in the gravel (if you don't stir and vacuum for a long time)

nitrous oxide or something??

someone know what i'm talking about ??

It isn't Nitrogen, that is perfectly inert, and makes up most of what you are breathing right now.

I think it is Sulfuric acid, H2SO4, but it could easily be SO2 or SO3. One of those three.

yeah...something like that..

i think it builds up in areas with low oxygen and poor circulation

here is it...
i found it...

gravel/Sand should be 2 inches or less, unless you want to spend extra time churning the sand to remove toxic gas pockets.
Going deeper than this will require keeping it stirred to avoid anaerobic pocket buildup.

what's this toxic gas??
anyone know.
i forgot the name

found it !!

its called HYDROGEN SULFIDE
read here: http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1424

A major concern for the aquarium with sand as the substrate is anaerobic gas pockets. The combination of the fine grains of sand and the depth of your substrate can lead to these pockets that are actually hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen Sulfide, often seen as H2S, is toxic to you (large amounts) and to your fish! There are several ways to help combat this potential problem. The first would be, as with gravel, don’t go to deep. A very fine gravel should not be more than 3 cm deep and allowing more depth as the grain size increases. As a fish keeper you can help prevent these pockets when you do your routine maintenance by simply stirring the sand with a finger or other similar aquascaping tool.

Here's a great link that talks about H2S including Steve Hampton and Tom Barr:
http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1424

You could use MTS, but stiring isn't really that big of a deal. I do it while filling the tank back up at water changes.

I have a few spiny eels to keep the sand stired up in the 180g.
Stiring it up yourself makes for a cloudy tank and it take a long time for it to settle back down.JMO

I haven't had any cloudiness due to stirring except for the new tank. But then again I think it also depends on what sand you use (in regards to cloudiness). I just rearranged my 55 gal tank and the tank became very cloudy. But when I stir the 29 gal, no cloudiness. It's two different brands of pool filter sand.

Back
Top Bottom