What is the Best Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are the filtration capabilities as good.

The 406 filters the same amount of water as the G3 but just doesn't have the good looks and bells and whistles, it's a meat and potatoes filter that does everything you need...and you could buy 2 for the same cost of a G3!

HUKIT said:
The 406 filters the same amount of water as the G3 but just doesn't have the good looks and bells and whistles, it's a meat and potatoes filter that does everything you need...and you could buy 2 for the same cost of a G3!

Yes it filters the same amount but does it filter as efficiently.

The filtration should be just as good. You decide what media goes where so the filtration is as good as you want it to be. My 406 is very effective.

As previously stated save the money from the G3 and buy two 406s if your seriously worried about effectiveness issues. (IMO 2x 406s would be overkill for a 55g)

calfishguy said:
Can you clean the 406 media without moving it. Or do you have to move it to a sink to do it.

You have to move any canister to a bucket or sink when cleaning the media.

Here is the users manual for the G series. Page 17 describes the media cleaning and it seems like a lot more than the "rinse and put back in" procedures for the 406.
http://www.fluval-g.com/pdf/Fluval-G-Series-Manual-EN.pdf#page17

Too be the odd one out. I kinda dislike the fluvals because of the basket design. IMO I have found that it is somewhat inefficient. For example, If you cover up the long drop in pads with plastic, it did not affect my water output. This seems to me that their is a flaw in the system and water can hop your mechanical filtration. Just my own testing on my 406.

I personally have found great results in the Rena series filters. I currently have chosen two xP3s for my 60 gallon. What I like its the square drop in baskets and ability to customize your biological setup. I.E, I have two pads, bio stars, fluval ceramics, and roughly 50 pot scrubbers between the both. Another feature I like is the connections and hoses. Sometimes the fluval plastic hoses tend to leak at the connection of your extremely precise in threading it properly. Not claiming the fluvals are loud, but the Rena is as quite as they come. Also, IMO they are easier to clean and maintain than the fluval given their design, not that the fluval is hard to clean, just not AS easy.

One xP3 is capable for my 60g aquarium no problems. I chose two for future upgrade decisions and seeding. Just my 2 cents!

Readingexcalibur said:
Too be the odd one out. I kinda dislike the fluvals because of the basket design. IMO I have found that it is somewhat inefficient. For example, If you cover up the long drop in pads with plastic, it did not affect my water output. This seems to me that their is a flaw in the system and water can hop your mechanical filtration. Just my own testing on my 406.

I personally have found great results in the Rena series filters. I currently have chosen two xP3s for my 60 gallon. What I like its the square drop in baskets and ability to customize your biological setup. I.E, I have two pads, bio stars, fluval ceramics, and roughly 50 pot scrubbers between the both. Another feature I like is the connections and hoses. Sometimes the fluval plastic hoses tend to leak at the connection of your extremely precise in threading it properly. Not claiming the fluvals are loud, but the Rena is as quite as they come. Also, IMO they are easier to clean and maintain than the fluval given their design, not that the fluval is hard to clean, just not AS easy.

One xP3 is capable for my 60g aquarium no problems. I chose two for future upgrade decisions and seeding. Just my 2 cents!

Helpful insight :) i was extremely torn between the 406 and XP3 when i was looking for my canister. i ended up with the 406 just due to price differences.

I didn't see anything, but do you have anything plumbed into the inputs or outputs of the filters? The reason i bring this up is this might be a consideration for the OP in the event he ever wants to plumb in a CO2 reactor, for example. The addition of these elements have impeded the flow back into my tank from my 406, but i can't think of why it wouldn't affect the flow out of any canister. Just curious.

paytertot said:
How can you clean any filter without moving it? How does the g3 do that?

According to some YouTube vids you can clean the media without spilling water everywhere and without moving or turning off the g3.

calfishguy said:
According to some YouTube vids you can clean the media without spilling water everywhere and without moving or turning off the g3.

The FX5 has a purge valve for this as well. You can use it to purge gunk or to drain the tank for a PWC. You don't have to turn it off when purging.

skywhitney said:
Helpful insight :) i was extremely torn between the 406 and XP3 when i was looking for my canister. i ended up with the 406 just due to price differences.

I didn't see anything, but do you have anything plumbed into the inputs or outputs of the filters? The reason i bring this up is this might be a consideration for the OP in the event he ever wants to plumb in a CO2 reactor, for example. The addition of these elements have impeded the flow back into my tank from my 406, but i can't think of why it wouldn't affect the flow out of any canister. Just curious.

I did do not have anything plumbed in. However, my test on the fluval was all on the interior of the canister. I personally was checking to see if the water made a direct route threw the sponge/media. The fluval failed by bypassing the flow of water and missed the pad. The Rena stopped all flow because no water could get by the center column. This told me that the water is forced threw the Rena unit and hits all of your media.

I have a Marina s15 but considering another model

Back
Top Bottom