what is the best to lower ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charliezx2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys new here first post. ok let me tell you a Lil about my tank. it is a 55gl with about 20 fish it it. i am running a fluval 406 and a cascade for filtration i have 80 pounds of eco- complete for a substrate two pieces of dirft wood and to live plants. i am currently running about a bag and ahalf if peat moss. my water source is from a well. When i first got my tank the ph was 6.8 never rally did anything til the last few months when all my guppies died and one of my sharks the ph spiked up in the 8's its about 7.3 to 7.6 right now . i was thinking about getting an R/O system or putting dirt in my tank to lower the ph i was wanting to now what it the best route to go and the pro and cons

If it is stable now in the low to mid 7s, I wouldn't mess with it. Lowering pH is a delicate act, and it is easy to crash the tank.

If i add dirt in to it how much would it change and would it stay or fluctuate

I don't no yet my b miracle grow Organic or aquasoil or something else don't really now i want to add more plants thou

How long was it at a pH of 8? How long has it been at the low-mid 7s? I'd agree with the call to leave it alone.

If you must add something, perhaps peat in a filter bag might work better for this. Less messy and easier to remove in case you need to.

Back
Top Bottom