What is the easiest fish to breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have mollies that keep breeding and wont stop. Each time I get more and more of them. I've had only one survive so far the rest have been dinner before I could get to them.

You need plenty of hiding places like caves and plants so they parents don't get all of the fry.

ahhh yes your the dude with the worries about the oscar huh?
go to your lfs and ask if they have a fry tank. buy the babies at a deal and QT them for a few days, then feed to the oscar.

what about danios? they will make good feeders as they need chase but are 'yummy'. plus goldfish, get a few small ones and QT for a few days and they will be fine too.
xxx

I do have hiding places lots of them. I have coconut caves I've made, wood, plants, things for them to hide in. They just disappear unless the mom is only having one for some reason.

Austin.brehun said:
Ok thank you i am on my way to petsmart now to look around i will buy a heater and materials for a filter

You would be much better to put the money towards buying your oscar a suitable tank.....

You don't necessarily need a heater if your room temp is half decent. I've kept guppies and other livebearers in mid to low 70s for as long as I can remember. I've not seen a major difference between that and keeping the tank around 78-80, so I don't do bother with heaters for them

my brothers guppy tank has no heater but is in almost constant daylight and is in a warm livingroom. they breed like mad and i just steal the mommas just before they give birth so i can get all the fry! x

If i bought a few fish today how long will it take till they start to breed? And i need a heater. Winter is coming soon and i live in ohio.

that's already been answered, the gestation period for guppies is about a month. You might be able to get some gravid females that will give birth soon, but I don't know what the big rush is.

Well i want to use the 10 gallon for a baby dragonfish after but im super excited to get that. So sooner is better than later

Well i want to use the 10 gallon for a baby dragonfish after but im super excited to get that. So sooner is better than later
I'm a bit confused. Do you want to breed the guppies once and then quit to get a baby dragon fish? Do you have a tank to put a dragonfish in? Just asking because of your "chiclid colors" thread where you said you don't have money for a bigger tank for the fish you already own.

I would recommend against buying any females that are extremely gravid. If they look like they're going to BURST - pick a different one. It can stress them out to transport and put them into a new tank. You run the risk of her never delivering.

By this I mean - she is pregnant, the babies are inside her but she will not have them - they die and rot inside and essentially kill her.

Im going to breed the fish and then if im lucky and i can sell some or feed tem to my oscar. Once their gona i can get my dragonfish. But i will have to do something to get a bigger tank for my oscar

Im going to breed the fish and then if im lucky and i can sell some or feed tem to my oscar. Once their gona i can get my dragonfish. But i will have to do something to get a bigger tank for my oscar
Ok. Honestly, I am not sure why you would want to do that, but its your thing, so OK. There are a few places you can try to sell fry/juvies.
I would still suggest spending your money on the tank for your other fish, but again, thats up to you.
You know the dragon fish will need a tank bigger than you have right now too, right? I assume you do, but just making sure.

Well the dragonfish thing is still on edge idk if i will or wont thats not my main worry for now

This is my tank so far. He isnt too big yet and you can see the silver dollar and clown loach are still small

Attachments

• image-1335455455.jpg
    image-1335455455.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2720540051.jpg
    image-2720540051.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1191485413.jpg
    image-1191485413.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom