What is the risk of adding un-quarintined neon tetras to my 20 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the risk of adding un-quarantined neon tetras to my 20 gal?

I have a 20 gallon long tank and would like to add some neon tetras. I don't have a quarantine tank. Usually, I'd just drip acclimate them and stick 'em in, but in addition to my 4 platy I now have a female bolivian ram. I definately don't want my ram to die over a few neons, but I really would like another small school of fish in there.

What do you think, can I add them?

Would rummy nosed tetras be better?

My ph is pretty high, so I prefer the hardier tetras, as well as the smaller ones.

I have a similar question. My tank just got cycled and I plan on adding some fish this weekend. I don't have a QT either, and I think I'm just gonna try and find the most reputable LFS in my area and ask a bunch of questions like if they quarantine their fish before they sell them. I know the PetSmart near me always has a dead fish or two in their tanks... so they're out of the question, but some other Mom and Pop stores seem to have healthier tanks.

Unfortunatly, my only "mom and pop" pet store has limited ammounts of fish :(. Our other localy owned store is ok, although I have seen fish with ich and tubercoliosis in their tanks before, which makes me nervous.

I've never quarantined my fish and I've always been ok (touch wood). Your best bet is to ask around about the your best lfs, always steer clear of the chain stores as they don't tend to care for their fish well.
If your too worried then just buy a small kids goldfish tank, stick a small heater and pump in it then once its cycled it'd be fine as a qt. But to be honest if your just getting a few tetras as a one off then i'd risk it personally.

The risk of not QT'ing your new fish is that they will infect the rest of your tank if the new fish are sick. Then you run the risk of losing ALL of your fish, not just the ones that you just got.

Also, if you have the QT set u and you see that the new fish are sick, it will be much cheaper to dose medicine on a smaller tank than a larger one. A smaller tank requires a lesser amount to reach the recommended dosage.

If the fish looked healthy in the store and the rest of the stock in the store looked healthy, you'll probably be ok.

I agonized over this same issue yesterday. A local Petsmart had some decent female GBRs for a good price and I've been looking for females for a breeding project. I have spare tanks, but no spare filters or heaters. AquaClears were on sale for 20% off and I really thought about picking up a second AC50 since I have some spare seeded sponges. I finally sat and watched the fish for 20-30 minutes, checked out the rest of the stock in the store, and bit the bullet. I put the two females in my 29g where I have the fewest, least valuable fish, so the impact will be minimized if something does happen. The GBRs need to do some growing before I introduce them to the males anyways.

Thanks, I think I'll try the locally owned stores first. I read somewhere that after 3 days the fish will show signs of sickness and/or the stressed or sick ones will be dead (true?), so I'll just see if the lfs's have had any neons longer than 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom