Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

What is this?

i had this fish given to me because it was nipping at the guys angels... i needed some more fish for my empty tank so i gladly took him in... he is in with balas and tin foils, he almost acts like hes one of them... when its not feeding time, he stays hidden in caves and such... just wondering if anybody could i.d. him... i know its some sort of catfish... and i know i know, the blue rock and petsmart decor are ugly, but its my fiances tank so to keep peace with her over my 5, she gets to decorate it however she wants

Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

the impression i get from it is that it is some type of loach but i couldnt tell ya what kind.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

well i guess you cant tell in the picture... sorry for the quality, hes so fast and keeps hiding, it took 20 pictures to get one this good... he has a pointy nose and small whiskers coming off of it... thats why i think hes a catfish... does that help any? ive googled and googled and cant find anything that looks even close to him ( or her )
Old 08-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think this might be it. Syncrossus hymenophysa
Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

wow fisheggs... thanks... looks just like him... so now i have to figure out where to put him... obviously gravel isnt what he needs.. i wonder if i could put it in with my neolamprologus brichardi? thats the only tank that i have pfs in right now...
Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

how big is it?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i have a hard time judging, but its about the same size as the balas... somewhere between 4 and 6 inches... id say probably 5 but not 100% sure... i barely get to see him because hes usually hiding unless im feeding
Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

if he is bigger than the brichardis it might be ok though i hear the brichardis are very aggressive especially when breeding. may be time to set up yet another tank lol
Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

ill let you be the one to tell that to my fiance then lol... ill try it out... i am thinking of going with pfs anyways in all of my tanks... so i might just take some time tomorrow and switch out the ugly blue and pink gravel with some pfs... if i can catch her asleep long enough
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i think that may be better to do that anyways... from what ive read so far about those, they like more acidic water, my brichardi tank sits at a 7.8, my community tank is at 7.0... and i keep it a little cooler than my cichlid tanks... i keep them around 80, i keep the balas and barbs at 76... im guessing he'll do better in that tank as soon as i get some sand... i love changing my tanks around

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com