What is this????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok everyone- i am TRULY at a loss here!!!! After destroying my tank & killing my plants with 1/2 a bottle of Ace 10% ammonia (yes, 1/2 a bottle!!!), i found MORE leeches today!!!!! Evidently, their eggs are immune to ammonia.... i dont know what else to do!!!! I tried sticking a leech in a hefty dose of potassium permagnate & it had no effect. I think these things can survive a nuclear holocaust. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try????

jlk said:
Ok everyone- i am TRULY at a loss here!!!! After destroying my tank & killing my plants with 1/2 a bottle of Ace 10% ammonia (yes, 1/2 a bottle!!!), i found MORE leeches today!!!!! Evidently, their eggs are immune to ammonia.... i dont know what else to do!!!! I tried sticking a leech in a hefty dose of potassium permagnate & it had no effect. I think these things can survive a nuclear holocaust. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try????

What about bleach? This is really weird I've never heard this before. I can't imagine where they are coming from.
But I did hear that they are good fried and with a little mustard. :)

Any way you can put your fish in another tank and completely break down the tank? I would discard that substrate.

What about bleach? This is really weird I've never heard this before. I can't imagine where they are coming from.
But I did hear that they are good fried and with a little mustard. :)

I would but you cant mix ammonia with bleach-its a lethal combination for humans! You are welcome to come & catch a some & fry them up if you want!!

Any way you can put your fish in another tank and completely break down the tank? I would discard that substrate.

There havent been any fish in this tank since sat when i dumped the ammonia in the tank. I guess the substrate (probably 70pds of gravel & sand) is going to have to go because i dont know what else to do! :banghead:

Thrown the gravel out (seal it in a bag or burn it so the leeches dont get out) and rinse the tank, filter, and decor and then soak in BLEACH!

GodFan said:
Thrown the gravel out (seal it in a bag or burn it so the leeches dont get out) and rinse the tank, filter, and decor and then soak in BLEACH!

I read somewhere that salt kills them too, but I don't know about eggs. I think that bleach would kill everything. I hope that works :)

If bleach dont kill it then bury in the backyard and move far far away lol

jlk said:
Im sure they are in the lakes around here but i have never seen one before! This is a first for me!!

I read in a different forum that someone went to the lake and came back, moved something in the tank and leeches exploded in the tank after that. I think she just kept them because his\her fish actually ate them so it was free food and free bait for fishing. Well I hope this works keep us updated :)

I don't know about the specific leeches you have, but when the kids get a leech on them after swimming( where they were told not to) I douse those little suckers with salt. They let go of the kids and bubble up then shrivel up and die. Try soaking/washing everything in salt??

Latest update- although i had soaked the filters & ran them with a whopping dose of ammonia, i just took the filters apart (again) & found hundreds more of little eggs. They seem to be in some kind of hard little shell casing so i guess the ammonia doesnt penetrate them. Everything is going in the garbage!!!! Ugh....

Try this before you through it away. Put tank, filter, heater (minus cord), and decor in a big bucket and dose strong ammonia. Then drain rinse and do salt water. Drain and rinse.

Reactions: jlk
strong dose of copper sulphate or go nuclear.....Bleach. I have had to bleach tanks before just rinse well and use a cup of clorine remover and let it set for a day dry in the sunlight if possible.

Good luck! It sucks they came back! I think you should chuck the substrate and filter media and soak everything in a salt bath. Then bleach it all. As said above, prime will neutralize any bleach residue afterwards.

Reactions: jlk
This is SOOO horrifying & depressing.... off to the store to buy bleach & some pfs. Hopefully my husband will help me move this beast of tank outside so it can soak for a couple of days (he doesnt understand my fish fascination)... I loath the thought of starting all over again but i am out of options. :(

jlk said:
This is SOOO horrifying & depressing.... off to the store to buy bleach & some pfs. Hopefully my husband will help me move this beast of tank outside so it can soak for a couple of days (he doesnt understand my fish fascination)... I loath the thought of starting all over again but i am out of options. :(

You'll get them all this time!! :) At least your boy are ok.

Back
Top Bottom