What is this????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this 'thing' swimming across my tank this morning!!! It is probably an inch long & has a sucker-type of mouth. Is it a leech or some type of worm (tapeworm, flatworm, etc)??? Where did it come from? There has been nothing new introduced into this tank since October except for adding some well rinsed sand. I did add 3 mystery snails 2wks ago, but i accidently killed them 2 days later with Excel. Could the snails have carried whatever it is? I am now parnoid there is some type of worm or leech infestation happening! Any input is appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 100_2984.jpg
    100_2984.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_2985.jpg
    100_2985.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_2986.jpg
    100_2986.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 136
Does it get fat then thin as it moves? If so, it's probably a leech. Maybe there were eggs on something you introduced to the tank.

Well, i did a good gravel vac & inspected all of my boys. Didnt find anything amiss but i LOATH the thought that theres some kind leeches or worms swimming around in my tank!!!! Ugh!

Even snails need to be quarantined. A lot of parasites use snails as an intermediate host. Apple snails get a parasite that makes it climb as high as it can get out of the water and then throw it's siphon up to attract a bird to eat it so the parasite can finish it's life cycle.

If by chance it is a planaria you will be able to see it's eyes and will have an arrow shaped head leeches do not have either. plus I have never seen any planaria longer than 1/2 inch

Last edited by a moderator:
Even snails need to be quarantined. A lot of parasites use snails as an intermediate host. Apple snails get a parasite that makes it climb as high as it can get out of the water and then throw it's siphon up to attract a bird to eat it so the parasite can finish it's life cycle.

Sorry, i have never seen a leech (if thats what it is) in my tanks before!!! I did not qt the mystery snails-most fish diseases can not be carried by inverts but i never considered they could possibly carry leeches! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Blech! If it has horn-like protrusions coming from the side of it's head it's probably planaria. If it doesn't, it's likely a leech (also could be Tubifex worm). I'd dispose of it at any rate; if it's a leech it can attach to your fish and suck their blood if it's that type.

Reactions: jlk
Ok. Now, i NEED serious help here!!!! How do you get rid of leeches other than just picking them out? I found not one, not two, but 14 more leeches this morning!!!! UGH!!!!! Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Thanks, Blert! This article suggests the use of trichlorofon. I have only found references to it online (no where to buy it) & its evidently a very potent insecticide. I dont want to risk hurting my fish. Im thinking maybe if i increase the salinty in this tank (which is zero), this may kill the leeches? Its either salt or i am going to rip this tank apart before they start eating my fish!

Thanks, Blert! This article suggests the use of trichlorofon. I have only found references to it online (no where to buy it) & its evidently a very potent insecticide. I dont want to risk hurting my fish. Im thinking maybe if i increase the salinty in this tank (which is zero), this may kill the leeches? Its either salt or i am going to rip this tank apart before they start eating my fish!
Make sure it isnt a tubifex worm first. They are harmless. Actually a good fish snack! They tunnel in sand and make little "tubes" to live in! I think its cool as you can tell lol

Make sure it isnt a tubifex worm first. They are harmless. Actually a good fish snack! They tunnel in sand and make little "tubes" to live in! I think its cool as you can tell lol

I wish it was tubifex worms.... these disgusting 'things' have little sucker mouths & dive for cover when i turn the lights on. I just have to figure out the best/safest way to get rid of them before they suck the life out of my boys. :confused:

I wish it was tubifex worms.... these disgusting 'things' have little sucker mouths & dive for cover when i turn the lights on. I just have to figure out the best/safest way to get rid of them before they suck the life out of my boys. :confused:
Do you have inverts in the tank? If not you could try dosing peroxide. I have heard that it is fish and plant safe. Definetly not snail safe though and I wouldnt risk it with shrimp or any invert.

No problem. Somebody on here posted it as a way to clear a cloudy tank.

Just tried a little experiment. The leeches are sitting on my counter in a plastic container because i have to show the hubby when he gets home. So, i dropped 1 in a cup of saltwater & 1 in cup of peroxide. The salt one died almost immediately. The peroxide had zero effect. I am assuming that any chemical that will kill inverts will probably kill these guys. Atleast, i am hoping anyway!!!

jlk said:
Just tried a little experiment. The leeches are sitting on my counter in a plastic container because i have to show the hubby when he gets home. So, i dropped 1 in a cup of saltwater & 1 in cup of peroxide. The salt one died almost immediately. The peroxide had zero effect. I am assuming that any chemical that will kill inverts will probably kill these guys. Atleast, i am hoping anyway!!!

Experiment further if you have the time...
What is the smallest concentration of salt that will kill them? You don't want to nuke your plants in the process of treating your tank.

And was it aquarium salt or table salt? Table salt has all sorts of other stuff in it.

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom