what is this...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Strange white stuff growing on DW is usually some type of fungus. I'm guessing you didn't boil the DW prior to placing it in your tank?

It was bought clean, and ready for aquarium use, an no not boiled but soaked in hot water for 12 hrs.

The fungus will eventually subside on it's own and is harmless. However, I've read snails, shrimp, and otos can eat it. Otherwise, it scrubs off easily too but will come back until it leaches out completely (what ever the fungus eats off the wood). That looks like a piece of mopani wood. I've read there's a higher chance of that white fungus to grow on. I use Malaysian DW that had been boiled a long time.. I haven't experience any fungus issues. Good luck!

Pipedreamer86 said:
The only living inhabitants currently are 3 anacharis plants

Well that's a good thing because you're still cycling. You'll be fine.. If the white stuff bothers you, just scrub it off.

I would say so.. It's just good practice to not only kill any potential micro organisms but also to leach out the tannins that can give your water a tea color.

Most driftwood does this. I soaked mine in a bucket with boiling water for a week. It's been in the tank for a month now and the white stuff is still there although getting better. It'll go away on its own eventually. You can wipe it off but it'll likely come back. It isn't harmful to fish or any inhabitants.

time for the otos, SAE, or amano shrimp team for a feast!! :D

time for the otos, SAE, or amano shrimp team for a feast!! :D

From what I have gathered I am assuming Pipedreamer is doing a fishless cycle currently, so wouldn't want to put any fish or shrimp in at the moment. Probably either wipe it off or just leave it as others have said.... it's not hurting anything.

Yea I'm having the same thing happen right now. My clown loaches will pick at it but it's not as much as in your pic. I'd leave it alone during the cycle. Once the tank is cycled you can scrub the dw in hot water with a plastic pot scrubbie. It will more than likely grow back but eventually it will go away.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad its harmless. I'm just a little peeved now that you.go to the store and spend the ridiculous prices they charge for dw and its still not completely tank ready!,I wanted to get two more much.larger pieces that will run $30 a piece, that will be feast time when the cycle is over lol.

Back
Top Bottom