What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I captured one .....I put it in with api aquarium salt and peroxide...all its doing is squirming ....10 minutes later..still squirming...

Try putting some in the dewormer if you have any. Seriously I don't know what to tell you, this seems to be Wy Renegades area, not mine in the least.

update...after 15-20 minutes....it did kill it..no movement anyway....so how would I treat the filters

here is a link about peroxide and fish tanks
Hydrogen Peroxide

Before I tried it I think I'd wait to see what Renegade has to say. All I know about H2O2 is it doesn't stay in the tank long. You need to turn off filters (I think) and I know lights need to be off as they break down the H2O2 alot quicker. You could "try" to just treat the filter (and hope you don't lose the BB) with the correct amount and see what happens. I just don't know what to tell you as this is a learning expierence for me too.

Try Cyropro. It's an insecticide for aquatic use to kill anchor worms, etc. it's safe for plants and fish though I don't believe it's invert safe. A MUCH safer option than using copper which can be deadly if misused and it's difficult to remove from tank. Other older options would be Dimilin or DTHP product such as Clout which are organophosphate insecticides but they have a greater toxicity. I believe Dimilin is also commonly used to kill moths/flying insects in agriculture settings.

update...after 15-20 minutes....it did kill it..no movement anyway....so how would I treat the filters

here is a link about peroxide and fish tanks
Hydrogen Peroxide

This is a tough question. Most posts I've read in regards to peroxide are generally aimed at algae control rather than insect control. There is a lot discussion about why peroxide is effective without any conclusive evidence that I have seen and most seem to prescribe it a more of a preventative than a cure. When I used it for algae on corals, I generally removed the corals in question from the tank and dipped in a peroxide solution. I've frankly no clue on the dosage one would have to use to treat an entire tank, nor the potential overall effect of that high of a dosage on bacteria. I'd be inclined to think, given that peroxide is generally used to "clean" wounds that it would eliminate the BB as well as the harmful insects, so my gut would be to find an alternative.

Try Cyropro. It's an insecticide for aquatic use to kill anchor worms, etc. it's safe for plants and fish though I don't believe it's invert safe. A MUCH safer option than using copper which can be deadly if misused and it's difficult to remove from tank. Other older options would be Dimilin or DTHP product such as Clout which are organophosphate insecticides but they have a greater toxicity. I believe Dimilin is also commonly used to kill moths/flying insects in agriculture settings.

This to me sounds like a much better option.

H2O2 will kill your BB. It's highly reactive and is used in industrial applications to help break up chemicals in water before the water hits the waste water treatment plant. We inject it into our water streams, but well before a point where any H2O2 would remain when it gets to the bioreactors (basically huge vessels filled with biomedia and injected with compressed air to promote nitrification). H2O2 does break down rapidly, but even a 3% solution, which is what I believe over the counter H2O2 is, will kill the BB if applied directly. I would avoid that option at all costs.

Ya probly wanna look at one of the options jlk suggested. IMO that would be yer safest bet.

WYite

Are you in the US? Cyropro is sold by most of the big aquatic retailers- just google 'buy Cyropro' and a bunch should come up. I buy it from a pet supplier that sells through EBay. Dimilin is a bit harder to find because it has EPA restrictions but some pond suppliers still sell it. I believe Clout is available from some of the larger aquatic retailers as well. I can't guarantee which, if any, product will work but they all contain active ingredients that are different classes of insecticides. So, my guess is they should (just don't use them together). If your not in the US, google should reveal what is available to you. Good luck!

Are you in the US? Cyropro is sold by most of the big aquatic retailers- just google 'buy Cyropro' and a bunch should come up. I buy it from a pet supplier that sells through EBay. Dimilin is a bit harder to find because it has EPA restrictions but some pond suppliers still sell it. I believe Clout is available from some of the larger aquatic retailers as well. I can't guarantee which, if any, product will work but they all contain active ingredients that are different classes of insecticides. So, my guess is they should (just don't use them together). If your not in the US, google should reveal what is available to you. Good luck!

Yes I am in the US ...Okay thanks for your time and effort in helping with this matter...if I cannot seem to find it I will just throw away all media in my filters since they are hatching and housing in it....:(

If you don't find it, let me know and I'll give you name of the supplier I buy from. I don't have it in front of me right now. :)

If you don't find it, let me know and I'll give you name of the supplier I buy from. I don't have it in front of me right now. :)

Okay I think I found it on Ebay 2.99 for 4oz bottle..you think I should get 2 or is one enough for 3 week treatment as directed?...Im thinking 2 just to have an extra one hand

well this is the closest but can't say 100%
Alderfly, dobsonfly & fishfly larvae
also I went to cp and none of my attachments have a check box next to it so I can select to delete

update: the other day I did order 2 4oz bottles of the Cyropro which should be here hopefully today. So far, as mentioned above, I put my gloves on and I removed all the infested filter media floss at once and thoroughly cleaned both filter houses (broke them down to their propellers). Thankfully for my DIY bottle filter (came in handy) that has been in place for 3 months has gained so much BB, that my tank did not crash nor did it have a mini cycle (smiling and clapping) and of course I still had BB on the subtrate, dw, etc... in the tank and the walls of the tank....
As of today, I replaced blue floss with a white floss so I can see them and any other pest better.....I do see a few in one filter so I pray the med comes today so I can get these pest out of my tank...

Keep us updated. I'm following here because this is something new that I've never run across. Are they only in the filter media? None in the substrate? Just curious where they prefer to take up residence at.

Keep us updated. I'm following here because this is something new that I've never run across. Are they only in the filter media? None in the substrate? Just curious where they prefer to take up residence at.

They seem to love the filter floss and the gunk...they crawl all into it, lay their eggs, hatch, and seem to stay there or they simply cannot get out of the floss (one or the other)....only a few will get pushed into the tank... I watch my tank like a hawk all day waiting for anything to float that I did not put in there...(turkey baster is my best friend right now)....

On my hob filter top/covers...there are slits I guess for air but I believe thats where they originally got in to lay the first egg....does anyone know if I have to have those slits open? can I cover them with a nylon stocking or something?
Also, is it better to have floss completely covered by the water? (I am wondering with the flow (moving waters) going over the floss would that eliminate them from laying eggs once I rid them....the floss I threw out did stick out above the flow a bit which could have made the flow slow enough so anything could land, drop some eggs, and fly away or do whatever it is they do in there..)

Not all HOB filters have air slots. I have some Wisper HOB's on a couple small tanks and they have solid tops so I don't see where taping some cut panty hose over them would hurt. If you filter draws air in from them the air can still enter through the nylons but not the bugs. At least thats how I see it. Then once you get rid of them and have the possible entry way covered I don't think it will matter about the floss. But you can always play it safe and just be sure it's fully under water.

Back
Top Bottom