what is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowman17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This stuff only appears on this rock dosent really look like algae, any idea?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130728_211911.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130728_211911.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20130728_211929.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130728_211929.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 79
I'm speaking on the greenish stains on the rocks they werent always there. tank is little over a year old

Wow I have the same rocks and the same fish in my tank lol and my rock also has that colouring on it, I just assumed that it was from when I put treatment in the tank and its stained the rocks, or just some sort of growth from having them in the tank for so long. Let me know if you find out anything different aboutit cause it would be interesting to know :')

What type of rocks are these? I may be totally off base here but I am venturing a guess that there may be some copper or another metal in them and its oxidizing. Have you ever seen a copper penny turn green? This is what it reminds me of (if its not in fact some type of green algae).

Im not sure exactly what type of rock they are as the shop didnt have any info on them, yeah it does remind me a bit of that as well. My rocks have been like that for quite a while now and everything seems to be ok in the tank. Thats why I thought it would be stains from the treatment or just a natural growth.

Yea I was thinking the same thing since it's been in there the longest and it's the only one with the stain on it. I got it marked as Texas holey rock. Def don't think it's algae.

That is Texas hokey rock, perfectly safe for aquariums. I believe it is a species of algae. A hard, tough one. You'll have to scrub the rocks, lower your light schedule, or use algaecide.

Yea didn't think it was algae because how hard it was to wipe off. it doesn't look like your normal algae more of a stain on the rock.

We have the same rock and it starts brown then turns green. We just take it out when we do a water change and scrub it in old tank water and it's good as new. We do this about once a month. We started our tank in May so it's about 2 1/2 months old.

I will definitely try that even tho it's not bothering me was just curious but thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom