Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

What is This?

Hello again. I have noticed this stuff growing on and around my filter recently (See attached pictures). I can't tell what it is, but have a sneaking suspicion that it's mold or fungus (REALLY hoping not). Can someone help me identify and get rid of it? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1964943043.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	197030

Name:	image-3526066779.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	197031
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3887054482.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	197032  

Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

looks like mold to me, your filter media should be completely submerged. you can cot off the top and try 3% hydrogen peroxide to kill the rest of it. you definitely don't want mold growing in your house

Old 09-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
looks like mold to me, your filter media should be completely submerged. you can cot off the top and try 3% hydrogen peroxide to kill the rest of it. you definitely don't want mold growing in your house
Oh, fun. It's a canister filter with what was said to be a waterfall... I know this is going to be a stupid question, but do I do the hydrogen peroxide in or out of the tank? Will it harm fish? Or will it harm them not to have a filter for a while?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats a tetra whisper right? i have had one of those that came with a kit i bought, ditch the filter cartridges and get some fluval poly foam and cut it to size, it works much better imo. you will just need to keep the seeded filter media in for 4-6 weeks. for the peroxide, first you can just cut the filter media below the water line. then take the filter out and dip a paper towel in peroxide and wipe out the top of the filter. then run the filter in a small bucket of tank water and your good to go.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
thats a tetra whisper right? i have had one of those that came with a kit i bought, ditch the filter cartridges and get some fluval poly foam and cut it to size, it works much better imo. you will just need to keep the seeded filter media in for 4-6 weeks. for the peroxide, first you can just cut the filter media below the water line. then take the filter out and dip a paper towel in peroxide and wipe out the top of the filter. then run the filter in a small bucket of tank water and your good to go.
Okay. Thanks for the advice. You are right about the filter. This is the first issue I've had with it, thankfully. Unfortunately, I've already bought a year's worth of media which I think I'll use up before switching. Where do you get the foam? Again, thanks!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com