What is this!!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jujubee

Aquarium Advice Freak
image-1006291540.jpg

I just found this creature in my 30 gal tank. Does anyone know what it is?? I'm on my way to classes so I can't take it out like I wanted, is this thing bad?

Attachments

• image-900105353.jpg
    image-900105353.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 123
Looks like a dragonfly nymph. I had one in my shrimp tank, I just removed it with a pair of twister.

Was it easy to catch? It didn't seem to move when I was staring at it haha I hope it's in the same place as it was when I get home!

Yeah looks like a dragon fly nymph. They can eat small fish, just remove it when you get home

Does it bite 0.0 It's in my tank hiding somewhere I will uproot all plants and remove driftwood to get rid of the bugger. I did research online but it's mostly of its life cycle. One of my fish did give birth a few days ago so in sure it's eaten the fry which isnt terrible since platys are rabbits in fish suit haha but I don't want to loose my adult and adolescent fish.

Alien !!! look out. :) looks like you already have it ID'd yes get rid of it I have heard they will bite and can even kill fish.

It's a damselfly larva or a type of mayfly larva. Many mayfly species larva look similar to damselfly larva. Dragonfly larva look very different because they are short and fat. They will prey on small fry or very small fish but I highly doubt it could take down an adult platy.

So I couldn't find the little bugger for the life of me last night. Today I turned on my tank light looking for it and gave up to eat breakfast as I was sitting down I saw a bug on my ceiling on closer inspection it's a dragon fly -.-

Dragonfly don't look like that...they're nasty lookin with a terrible temper! Damselfly is more like it. However, I'm in WI. I don't know where you are.

Agree on the damsel fly because of the slender body shape. In the adult form, I believe when resting, dragon flies hold their wings out sideways while damsel flies fold their wings back.

Did you catch it yet??id be camped out in front the tank with a turkey baster haha

Thank you all for the input!
Deff left the tank and was on my ceiling. I'm in VA and haven't seen any bugs In the longest time due to the freezing cold weather. My apartment is also always closed. Positive it came from inside my tank since the bug was directly above my tank. It did have its wings back and not to the side it was a light brown.
I did think it was a dragonfly since I always caught baby dragonflies or what I thought were baby dragonflies that looked exactly like it when I lived in Florida and SC. They may have been colorful damselflies -.- haha you learn everyday right?

Back
Top Bottom