What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
These are brackish fish I was just wondering what species they are. They came from my ditch that's runs into I think the York river. Also I was wondering if they could live in freshwater because I might keep them :/ probably not though. Here's what they look like
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426267589.561415.jpg
There's 3 in the picture if you can spot them all ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

They look like some kind of killifish, but I really couldn't say without better pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They aren't either of those. They are a light tan color all over their body with faint, vertical, black stripes along their bodies. The biggest one is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches while the others are about an inch or less. My dad suggested river chub. But I don't think those are river chubs.

Here's a better picture of the biggest one.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426281416.224737.jpg

Well the body shape is really different especially the head shape. Also are killifish brackish?

Well I was looking at more banded killifish images and I now I think you are right. Could I keep them with my apple snails and guppies?

Well I was looking at more banded killifish images and I now I think you are right. Could I keep them with my apple snails and guppies?

Probably, but I'm no expert. I was looking around, though, and it should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Probably, but I'm no expert. I was looking around, though, and it should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah that's what I thought. I read that they are primarily freshwater but can be found in brackish. I would probably convert them during the quarantine period.

They won't be ok with guppies for long, they get up to 6" and eat whatever fits in their mouth.

They won't be ok with guppies for long, they get up to 6" and eat whatever fits in their mouth.

Oh wow then they won't fit in a 10g either. And the guppies are just week old babies. Maybe they'll be going back to where I found them...

Back
Top Bottom