what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahh. Thanks. I thought all duckweed was that tiny stuff, but mine looks just like the drawing of Spirodela polyrhiza. I didn't know there was a giant duckweed. Thanks again!

To me it looks more like a baby Water Lettuce, Pistia stratiotes. Very hard to tell at that size. Water lettuce matches the color of your pic 1 exactly, and the grooves in the leaves also match. Baby water lettuce has very few grooves, not very deep, just as in your pic. Adult water lettuce has very prominant grooves. Also, duckweed doesn't usually have roots that look like that (pic 2). Duckweed that I'm familiar with, the roots don't branch.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a decent pic of baby water lettuce with a quick google search, and wasn't willing to spend much time on it (sorry).

The more I look, the more certain I am that its Pistia stratiotes, not Spirodela polyrhiza.

Where did you get your shrimp? You could email them with these pics and ask them what the plant is.

the more research I did on the duckweed, the more I dont think its that. This is pretty big. And the leaves look sorta fuzzy to me. From edge to edge of the big leaves it measures one inch.

Meredith...although the pic of the Pistia stratiotes above is small, the link I found it on fits your description...if you look at the leaves closely, you will see the fuzz.

It could be. I guess I need to wait and see if the leaves elongate some. The ones it has now are pretty round. I hope they don't die :?

Fuzzy leaves, that seals the deal for me! Definitely Pistia stratiotes. Can't believe I forget to ask if they had fuzz.

I keep water lettuce in my pond every year, so I am quite familiar with it. It gets huge outdoors, but stays pretty small in aquaria, usually not more than 2-3 inches across. Still, much like duckweed, it can cover the surface of your water, stealing all the light from your submerged plants! The roots can also grow pretty long and bushy, which I don't think looks very good. It certainly wouldn't hurt to keep a few of them in the tank though, if you find them interesting. I would also keep an eye on them for aphids. Outdoors they get a lot of aphids, and I've even had some on them in my tank.

JChillin, thank you very much for posting the pics!

Back
Top Bottom