what is this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcdebb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've never seen an issue like this before. In my 55 gallon angelfish tank, i have algae on the substrate. it's easy to remove, but is a pain in the butt as it keeps coming back. I just create water movement and it comes up easily and I use the net to just catch it. it's like layers or a carpet of algae. I've removed all the decorations, done water changes. I had my UV sterilizer in here but removed it, my power head is turned off, i changed the filter media in my canister last week. The only thing I can think of is the gravel? The water is ro/di

I don't get this?? All of my other tanks are fine. I'm doing with this tank as I'm doing with all the others.

1r8v.jpg

9b47.jpg

That is cyanobacteria. The best thing to do is vacuuming as much out of your tank as possible and treat your tank for 5 days with Erythromycin to kill the bacteria. Erythromycin will not kill off your BB but you could see a slight ammonia spike as the cyano begins dying. Be sure to treat the tank for the entire 5 days! Also check your nitrate reading. Cyanobacteria is often found in tanks with a nitrate reading less than 10ppm.

Wow, first time I've had this happen. And I got wigglers in this tank too. This should be fun :(

Wow, first time I've had this happen. And I got wigglers in this tank too. This should be fun :(

What I would do is keep vacuuming/removing as much of the cyano daily as you can and test to see what your nitrate readings are. If they are below 10ppm then you need to dose you tank to raise nitrates to between 10-15ppms. I'd try holding off using the Erythromycin until the babies are older. If the cyano starts getting totally out of hand or begins to smell then you'll have to treat the tank with the Erythro.

yea sorry lol I have spawning angelfish.

I've never had high nitrates in any of my tanks and never ever had an issue in my tanks. That's why this is so new to me. I also think that the light in this tank is part of the issue. the light blew out a month or so ago, and I had to get a replacement from walmart, and the temp of the light is probably not proper. I want to replace it with LED, so I need to hurry up and do that. I'm also thinking of rescaping the tank as well. I have an empty 20 long and just found a 29 for 10 bucks, so I may be setting up temporary homes and just totally rescape this tank and be done with it. Of course, after I capture the spawning pair and the fry.....

What I would do is keep vacuuming/removing as much of the cyano daily as you can and test to see what your nitrate readings are. If they are below 10ppm then you need to dose you tank to raise nitrates to between 10-15ppms. I'd try holding off using the Erythromycin until the babies are older. If the cyano starts getting totally out of hand or begins to smell then you'll have to treat the tank with the Erythro.

How do you raise the nitrates and what is the best level to have? I've never heard of this bacteria.

How do you raise the nitrates and what is the best level to have? I've never heard of this bacteria.

I use KNO3, potassium nitrate in dry form. But I only use it in a couple tanks as most of my tanks run right around 10ppm. But if one falls below that I dose it up to the 10ppm level. Seachem also makes a Flourish Nitrogen which provides nitrogen in both nitrate form and the plant-preferred ammonium form. I've never used it so I can't give you any personal use experience on it.

I saw the Erythromycin in Petsmart, but it was for the fish if they were sick, and not necessarily for the cyanobacteria?

I saw the Erythromycin in Petsmart, but it was for the fish if they were sick, and not necessarily for the cyanobacteria?

That's what you need. Cyanobacteria is not algae even tho it is often referred to as blue-green algae. It's a bacteria and therefore needs an antibiotic to kill it.

Back
Top Bottom