What is this and where the heck is it coming from????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm back!!!!! Yes I'm back from my 6 days trip and I found two surprises in my tank: One good and one bad -I think.

The good one: Most of the green algae is gone from the glass and from the plants. My fishy sitter may have forgotten to turn the lights on a couple of times. I wonder if that did it. She also fed every other day, because when I left my barb had indigestion and was very bloated. May be that did it.

The second surprise is I FOUND A SNAIL!!!!!! I have no idea what kind or where is it coming from??? Is dark brow, blackish, the size of a pea. Right now, it is in the fish net in the water awaiting the veredicto.

Where is this guy coming from and will I have a dozen of them in a few days invading the tank? I don't want snails!!!! :roll:

Help!

Thank you!

Snails come in on plants, or the eggs could even get in via the net into the bag when you get new fish - not impossible.

If you don't want snails I'd deep 6 this fellow, because if you have one, you are almost definitely going to be seeing more. In a planted tank it is difficult not to have at least a few snails. They can get out of hand, as you may already suspect. :wink:

EDIT: As far as what kind of snail it is, it is hard to tell without a pic. I'd guess common pond snail.

Glad your algae problem resolved! Now you can find some happy medium between the vacation schedule and your normal schedule to keep it from returning.

TG is correct. From what I've experienced and seen from others is snail eggs are more than likely the culprit as they hitchhike on plants on the time.

If it isn't a pond snail, it may be a ramshorn. If you can look at the shell and it resembles a Ram' horn (curving around into itself), that is what you have.

There are possibly more snails somewhere in the tank. When I got my first plants, I counted 6 while I was rinsing them the plants off.

After 4 weeks, I noticed 6/7 babies...then 10+ and I haven't a clue as to how many I have now. :D

Thank you, guys! I'm so glad you're always there for advise!!!!

I've been looking around and don't see any other snails. I guess i'll find out in the coming days /weeks!

Thanks again!!!

:invasion:

Back
Top Bottom