What is this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently went to the pet store, intending to purchase 2 Siamese Algae Eaters. I was given 2 fish, under the assumption that they were SAEs. However, when I got home, I realized I had been given something completely different. I identified one as a Chinese algae eater, but the other, I can not identify myself! It has the same shape, but no horizontal black stripe. It has a tiny vertical one near its tail. If anyone knows what this fish is, help would be greatly appreciated!

~ I uploaded 2 pictures, one of just the mystery fish and one picture containing the mystery fish and the fish I believe to be a Chinese Algae Eater.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 157
I recently went to the pet store, intending to purchase 2 Siamese Algae Eaters. I was given 2 fish, under the assumption that they were SAEs. However, when I got home, I realized I had been given something completely different. I identified one as a Chinese algae eater, but the other, I can not identify myself! It has the same shape, but no horizontal black stripe. It has a tiny vertical one near its tail. If anyone knows what this fish is, help would be greatly appreciated!

~ I uploaded 2 pictures, one of just the mystery fish and one picture containing the mystery fish and the fish I believe to be a Chinese Algae Eater.

1.) looks like some sort of loach. Seen one before but don't know the name.
2.) Chinese Algae Eater. Careful with these guys, they get large, aggressive and with age they begin to suck (ba dum tiss) at eating algae, they just begin to eat flakes and other foods of the sort.

Yeah, I am not really sure what to do with the Chinese Algae Eater. This is only a 20 gallon and the rest of my fish should be quite peaceful.

If it's a 20 you need to take it back first chance you get. I love them but they're just not right for my setup!

If you went to get something to eat algae, bring both of them back. The one on the left is a Chinese algae eater and the one on the right looks like a silver loach. Neither is a SAE, that's for sure (how frustrating when people selling don't even know what they sell!). Unfortunately, a 20 gallon is really too small for a SAE for very long, too. They will grow to four inches in a short time, but you could put a tiny one in if you are willing to upsize your tank later or rehome him. If your tank is established well, maybe get three-five otos instead, maybe a mystery snail?

Back
Top Bottom